Lath and plaster walls are notoriously difficult to scan for studs, so it’s important to choose a stud finder that is specifically designed for this task. There are many different types of stud finders on the market, and it can be difficult to know which one is the best for your needs. So, take a look at Best Tool Center‘s list of the best stud finders for lath and plaster walls and find the perfect one for your needs. You’ll be glad you did!
1. VIVREAL Stud Finder Wall Scanner
This scanner is designed to quickly and easily find studs in your walls. It features a fast-scanning mode that quickly finds the edges of studs, so you can get to work hanging pictures or shelves quickly and easily. The scanner also has a deep-scanning mode that can detect studs up to 3.9 inches deep, so you can be sure you’re hitting the mark every time. The VIVREAL Stud Finder Wall Scanner is also easy to use. Simply hold it against the wall and press the scan button to get started. The scanner will quickly find the edges of the studs and indicate their location on the LCD screen.
- 【Safety always comes first】 VIVREAL devotes to developing a reliable stud finder and helping you to detect the hazard. No more worries about the annoying little things during decoration with the help of this stud finder. QUICKLY LOCATE the edges and center of the objects, saving users time and effort, making the task completion EASIER. This wall scanner can detect the Live AC Wire in all modes. Our advanced technology enables accuracy detection to protect you from danger.
- 【FOUR SCANNING MODES】The stud finder provides four scanning modes in total for detection. Depending on the tasks you have, you can switch to the desired mode. The STUD SCAN is used for finding and locating the center and edges of wood or metal studs up to 3/4 in (19mm) deep; DEEP MODE for scanning walls for 1 1/(2 ) in (38mm) deep; METAL SCAN for locating and detecting metal (such as 1/2 inch rebar) up to 2 1/(4 )in (60mm) deep; and AC SCAN for locating live AC wires up to 2 in (51mm) deep.
- 【GRAPHICAL LCD DISPLAY】The multi Function wall scanner detector has a GRAPHICAL LCD DISPLAY, which indicates many cues in detection, such as detection mode, signal strength, automatic calibration, battery indication with maximum readability. And the Low Battery Indicator icon displays when the battery level is getting low, reminding you to replace a brand new 9-volt battery in time.
- 【SOUND WARNING】The multi-function stud finder offers the BEEP SIGNAL ALERT. When you have detected an object with the wall scanner, it will beep continually. The big sound warning together with the LCD screen helps detect the accurate location of the objects. Then a peck shape will display on the graphical screen. You can use the pencil to point to the location of the object. The audible and visible cues reliably keep users informed when an object, such as metal, studs, AC live wiring gets found
- 【SIMPLE AND FAST】The stud finder wall scanner can QUICKLY LOCATE the edges and center of metal studs, pipes, rebar, joists behind walls, floors, and ceilings as well as the live AC wires. Fast detection saves users time and efforts, making the task completion EASIER. One button on the middle of the body is used for selecting from four scanning modes. The other button is on the left side of the device, which helps you easily read the information on LCD screen and quickly detect the objects behind
– The Vivreal stud finder is very accurate, finding studs within 1/8” of their actual location.
– The scanner is very easy to use, with clear instructions on the screen.
– The scanner is very lightweight and portable, making it easy to carry around the house.
– It has a large scanning area, making it quick and easy to find studs.
– It is very affordable, making it a great option for those on a budget.
– The scanner is not able to scan through walls that are thicker than 1.5”.
2. M MARSIAN Stud Finder Wall Scanner
The MARSIAN Stud Finder Wall Scanner is a great tool to have in your home improvement arsenal. This scanner can help you locate studs on your walls so that you can hang pictures or shelves with confidence. This scanner is easy to use. Just turn it on and run it along the wall. The scanner will detect the location of the studs and indicate them with a beep. The scanner can even differentiate between metal and wood studs.
- 5 Scanning Modes- M MARSIAN 5-in-1 stud finder provides you with 5 scanning modes. This stud finder wall scanner includes stud modes for locating studs up to 1/2”(13mm) deep, 1”(25mm) deep, and 1 1/2”(38mm) deep, metal scan mode for detecting metal up to 2.36”(60mm) deep, AC scan mode for detecting AC wires up to 2”(51mm) deep. It is the most suitable gift for Father's Day
- Auto Calibration for More Accuracy- With upgraded digital detection technology, M MARSIAN digital wall scanner can quickly and exactly detect the woods, metal, pipes, AC wires hidden in the walls, floors and ceilings. Auto calibration function excludes the influence of previous readings, providing maximum accuracy and reliability for following detection. Just press the scan button to start calibration and it will complete the moment the beep sound and screen shows disappear.
- LCD Display & Sound Warning - M MARSIAN stud detector is equipped with a LCD screen together with the beeping sound to help you get a more accurate result in both visible and audible way. The bright LCD display allows you to clearly see the reading even in the dark. With the beeping alert, you can be immediately informed when you are getting closer to the detected target. M MARSIAN stud finder also has low battery Indicator, please be aware that 9-volt battery is not included.
- Easy Operation and Save your Time- M MARSIAN stud finder wall scanner allows you to efficiently switch between the five different scan modes within minutes. Even a green hand can easily locate the woods, metal, pipes, rebar, joists behind walls, floors, and ceilings as well as the live AC wires with this stud finder. Hold the scanner and move it above the drywall, it will quickly show you the center and edge of the object.
- Wide Use & Ergonomic Grip Design -This beam finder is greatly user friendly with light weight and ergonomic design for you to comfortably hold it from any angle. M MARSIAN wall scanner can be applied to various wall surfaces, from lath, wallpaper wood flooring, painted walls, acoustic ceiling, etc. It’s the one you need to help you find the exact studs before installing TVs, cabinets, garage shelves in your house or office.
– It is extremely accurate. You don’t have to worry about your stud finder giving false readings.
– The M MARSIAN Stud Finder Wall Scanner is that it is very easy to operate. This is a very user-friendly product.
– This product is also very affordable. You will not have to spend a lot of money to get your hands on a good quality stud finder.
– The only downside of this product is that it is not as durable as some of the other stud finders on the market.
3. JAXWQ Stud Finder Wall Scanner
The JAXWQ Stud Finder Wall Scanner is simple to use. Just turn it on and hold it against the wall. The scanner will quickly detect any studs in the area and show you their location on the built-in screen. This makes it easy to avoid drilling into studs when hanging pictures or shelves, or when doing any other kind of home improvement project. The JAXWQ Stud Finder Wall Scanner is also very accurate. It can detect studs that are as thin as 1/4 inch, so you can be sure that it will find the studs you need every time.
- Accurate and Rapid: The stud finder adopts an intelligent micro-sensor chip with the highest sensitivity which can accurately and quickly find edges and center of metal, studs, joists, pipes, and live AC wire behind walls, floors, and ceilings. Fast detection saves users time and effort, making task completion easier. No matter professionals, homeowner,s and DIY enthusiasts, it must be an ultimate choice
- 5 in 1 Multi-function Detection: The upgraded 5-in-1 mode provides users with more detection needs. 1/2 inch scan mode locates the center and edges of wood and metal studs up to 1/2 inch deep; medium scan locates the center and edges of wood and metal studs up to 1 inch deep; Deep scan locates the center and edges of wood and metal studs up to 1.5inch deep; Metal scan detects metal (Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metal) up to 2.36 inch deep; AC scan detects live unshielded AC wires up to 2 inches deep
- LCD display and sound alarm, which can detect the exact location of the objects. When find the objects, the LCD display will indicate the direction and the intensity of beeping tells whether you are more close to the target. This LCD also features back-lit function which can provides a clear appearance even in low light conditions, indicating detection mode, center pointing, low battery indication, ect
- Easy to Use & Auto Calibration: Easy-to-read LCD display and ergonomic anti-slip handle provide users with comfort and convenience while scanning. The wall detector can be automatically calibrated anywhere on the wall to successfully find the center of studs in one step. This function provides maximum reliability to the user, greatly reduces errors in the application, and ensuring that most objects behind the wall can be detected
- Wide Use: Are you looking for tool gifts for your husband, dad, or grandpa? This stud finder will be a gift ideal for men. This stud detector quickly locates wood, metal, and AC wires hidden in the walls, floors, and ceilings of the house. Helping you avoid danger when mounting TVs, cabinets, garage racks, etc. This stud finder would be great value gifts set as Fathers Day Gifts, Anniversary Gifts, Christmas Gifts, Birthday Gifts for Men Him Husband Boyfriend!
– It is accurate in detecting studs
– This product can detect both ferrous and non-ferrous metals
– It can also detect wiring and pipes inside the walls
– It is portable and easy to use
– It is not suitable for detecting studs on ceilings or in tight spaces
4. Tavool Stud Finder Sensor Wall Scanner
This device is simple to use. Just turn it on and run it along the wall. The sensor will detect any studs and provide an audible signal. You’ll be able to find the perfect spot to hang that picture frame or install that new shelf with ease. The Tavool Stud Finder Sensor Wall Scanner is also a great value. It’s affordably priced and easy to use. You’ll be able to get your projects done quickly and easily.
- The Most Accurate Wall Scanner- Our team specializes in stud finder for years and adopts the most Advance Sensors Technology for accurately & quickly locating studs wood metal AC wires! In all modes, this wall scanner always detect and indicate the Live AC Wires. Whether you are a professional, homeowner or a DIY enthusiast, you can find great use in this electronic stud scanner.
- 4 in 1 Multifunction Plus Deep Detection - This digital wall scanner includes four different scanning modes for woods, beam, joist, metals, AC wires behind floors ceilings and walls. Stud mode detects wooden beams and joists in drywall up to 1.2 inches; Metal mode detects pipe, rebar, aluminum and copper up to 1.57 inches;and Deep mode could detect woods or metals located up to 1.77 inches; while live AC wires up to 2.36 inches.
- Upgraded Design of LCD Screen - Displaying the Desired Stud Material As Well As Its Precise Position - This digital stud scanner features large LCD display together with clear sound to detect the accurate location of stud metal AC wires. When the material is detected, its LCD screen will indicate the direction and intensity ,all these indicate whether you are closer to the target. This fast detection surely saves you more time and efforts, making your project EASIER.
- Auto-Calibration and Ergonomic Grip for Comfortable Use -Proper calibration before every using provides you with maximum reliability and accuracy.And the ergonomic design of this wall stud finder makes it comfortable to hold from any angle.
- Professional Design with Top Quality - We have a professional team and mature productions process,and has been dedicated to Research and develop stud finders for many years. This stud finder wall detector can quickly locate the metal wood AC wires hidden in the walls, floors and ceilings, help you find the exact stud while installing TVs, cabinets, garage shelves etc.
– This stud finder is very easy to use.
– It can be used on any wall surface.
– It is battery-operated and doesn’t require any external power source.
– It is very accurate and can find studs up to 1.5 inches deep.
– It has a large LCD display that makes it easy to read.
– It is a bit expensive.
5. Bosch GMS120 Digital Multi-Scanner
- Detection: The Bosch GMS120 Digital Wall Scanner features multi-mode laser detection for wood studs, metal objects (rebar, studs and steel/copper pipes) and live wiring
- Performance: Features the latest 3 sensor laser technology, offering a wide range of detection performance of up to 4 3/4 inches deep in cured concrete, up to 2 inches for live wiring, up to 3 1/8 inches for copper and up to 1 1/2 inches for wood studs; The accuracy of the product is 0.0625
- Self calibrating: Includes 3 selection modes for wood, metal, and AC wiring; The GMS120 offers automatic calibration from the start and continues to self calibrate through the course of the project for easy and precise detection
- Display: Features an illuminated graphical LCD display to indicate mode, detection strength, and more; The large detection ring flashes green for no object found, orange for object near and red for object found within the sensor range
- Center Finder: This wall scanner includes a center finder that pinpoints the object center with an audible detection signal with an on/off button
– This Bosch digital scanner is very affordable, especially when you compare it to other similar models.
– This digital scanner is very easy to use and it is also very accurate.
– This scanner can be used for various purposes, such as detecting wall studs, pipes, and even metal pipes.
– The Bosch GMS120 digital scanner is very durable, so you can be sure that it will last for a long time.
– This scanner is not as small as some of the other models in the market.
1. How can I find out what type of stud finder I need?
The best way to find out what type of stud finder you need is to read the reviews. There are many different types of stud finders on the market, and each one has its own set of features and benefits. By reading the reviews, you can get a good idea of which stud finder will best suit your needs.
2. What are the different types of stud finders?
There are several different types of stud finders on the market. The most common type is the electromagnetic stud finder. This type of stud finder uses a magnetic field to detect the presence of metal studs in walls.
Another type of stud finder is the ultrasonic stud finder. This type of stud finder uses sound waves to detect the presence of metal studs in walls.
3. How do I use a stud finder?
To use a stud finder, you will first need to find a wall that you think may contain studs. Once you have found a wall, you will need to find the center of the wall. You can do this by using a level or a tape measure.
Once you have found the center of the wall, you will need to place the stud finder against the wall and turn it on. The stud finder will then emit a sound when it detects the presence of a stud.
4. What are the benefits of using a stud finder?
There are several benefits of using a stud finder. The most obvious benefit is that it will save you time and effort when you are trying to locate studs in walls.
Another benefit of using a stud finder is that it can help you avoid damaging your walls. If you were to use a drill to find studs in your walls, you could easily damage the drywall or plaster.
5. What are the drawbacks of using a stud finder?
One drawback of using a stud finder is that it can be expensive. Another drawback is that they require batteries, so you will need to make sure that you have batteries on hand.