When it comes to power tools, a cordless hammer drill is an essential piece of equipment for any DIY enthusiast or professional contractor. These versatile tools can drill through tough materials like concrete and brick, making them ideal for a wide range of tasks, from installing shelves to building decks.
But with so many options on the market, it can be challenging to determine which cordless hammer drill is the best for your needs. From battery life to power and torque, there are many factors to consider when making your purchase.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the top cordless hammer drills available today and provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a novice DIYer, we’ve got you covered with our comprehensive guide to the best cordless hammer drills on the market.
- DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit: A powerful and versatile cordless tool
- Take on Tough Jobs with BOSCH 1-9/16-Inch SDS-Max Combination Rotary Hammer
- Skil HD182002: The Hammer Drill with 100pcs Drill Bit Set for Any Drilling Task
- Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Perfect Tool for Construction Sites
- The DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill: A Versatile Tool for All Your Drilling Needs
- Denali by SKIL: Your Go-To Cordless Hammer Drill for Every Task
- Unleash Your DIY Potential with the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit: A powerful and versatile cordless tool
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
DEWALT’s 20V hammer drill boasts a powerful, efficient brushless motor that delivers up to 75% more runtime compared to 18V NiCad brushed motors. This means you can work longer without having to stop and recharge or replace the batteries. Additionally, the XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge provide 33% more capacity over standard packs, further enhancing the drill’s runtime.
One of the standout features of this cordless hammer drill is its heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts. This provides superior gripping strength for your drill bits, ensuring they stay in place during even the toughest drilling jobs.
The drill also includes a 3-Mode LED system that illuminates dark or confined spaces up to 20 times brighter than the previous model. Additionally, the LED Spotlight Mode features a 20-minute shutoff function, allowing you to work for extended periods of time in poorly lit areas.
The 3-speed, all-metal high-performance transmission optimizes the tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time. With 0-450 / 0-1300 / 0-2000 RPM in drill mode, you have the flexibility to adjust the speed to match the task at hand.
While the DEWALT 20V hammer drill cordless is undoubtedly a powerful and versatile tool, it may not be the most budget-friendly option. Additionally, some users may find the weight of the drill to be on the heavy side, which could impact their ability to use it comfortably for extended periods of time.
Take on Tough Jobs with BOSCH 1-9/16-Inch SDS-Max Combination Rotary Hammer
- CONVENIENT: The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer features the SDS-max Bit System for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
- POWER: This rotary hammer provides the best in class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. Weighing only, 15.2 lbs., the RH540M provides maximum productivity in all day drilling and chiseling applications
- VERSATILE: The RH540M features a combination dual mode selector knob to allow users to select between hammer drilling, chiseling only and the Vario-Lock function
- EFFICIENT: With Varo-Lock Positioning, the rotary hammer rotates and locks chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angle. The tool also comes complete with service minder brushes to notify users when maintenance is needed
- VARIABLE SPEED: The variable speed dial allows for controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which will easily reduce concrete to dust
The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer offers a range of advantages for users in various applications. One of its most notable features is the SDS-max Bit System, which allows for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking and dust protection. This ensures maximum impact energy transfer rate and convenience for users. However, the rotary hammer’s weight of 15.2 lbs. may be a disadvantage for some users who require a lighter tool.
In terms of power, the RH540M provides a best-in-class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs., making it suitable for heavy-duty drilling and chiseling applications. Its variable speed dial also allows for controlled drilling and chiseling, with the motor rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode. This level of power and control can make quick work of concrete and other tough materials.
The RH540M is also versatile, with a combination dual mode selector knob that enables users to choose between hammer drilling, chiseling only, and the Vario-Lock function. The Vario-Lock Positioning feature allows for the rotary hammer to rotate and lock the chisel into 12 different positions, optimizing working angles. However, some users may find the Vario-Lock function difficult to use without proper training and experience.
Skil HD182002: The Hammer Drill with 100pcs Drill Bit Set for Any Drilling Task
- Versatility at its best - From tightening screws to drilling into wood, metal and even concrete, this versatile hammer drill is the ideal DIY tool for a variety of home projects.
- Powerful - This drill is equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor that makes it ideal for the most demanding projects.
- TACKLES TOUGH JOBS - This ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy duty jobs.
- Speed control - The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control.
- Drill longer and more comfortably - The lock-on button lets you to drill for long periods of time. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options for greater stability.
Advantages: This versatile hammer drill is capable of a wide range of tasks, from tightening screws to drilling into various materials such as wood, metal, and concrete. It is an ideal DIY tool for a variety of home projects, making it a convenient option for those who don’t want to invest in multiple tools.
Equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor, this drill is powerful enough to handle even the most demanding projects. The heavy-duty keyed chuck can accommodate larger bits to tackle tougher jobs, providing greater flexibility and efficiency.
The 2-finger variable speed trigger allows for increased control, allowing users to adjust the speed to suit their specific needs. This feature is especially useful when working with delicate materials that require a slower drilling speed.
The lock-on button allows for extended drilling periods without experiencing finger fatigue, which is beneficial for those working on larger projects. The button also provides different holding options for greater stability, reducing the risk of slippage and injury.
Disadvantages: While this drill is versatile and capable of handling a variety of tasks, it may not be as efficient as dedicated tools designed for specific tasks. For example, a dedicated screwdriver may be more effective at tightening screws than a hammer drill, which may cause unnecessary damage.
The high torque 7.5 Amp motor makes this drill powerful, but it also adds to its weight and can make it more difficult to handle for some users. Additionally, the heavy-duty keyed chuck may be more cumbersome to change bits than a keyless chuck, which can slow down workflow.
The lock-on button is beneficial for longer drilling periods, but it may also increase the risk of accidental injury if not used properly. Users must take care to avoid unintentional activation of the button, as this can lead to dangerous situations.
Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Perfect Tool for Construction Sites
- Makita-built variable speed motor delivers 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM
- 3-mode operation for "Rotation Only", "Hammering with Rotation" or "Hammering Only" for multiple applications
- Torque limiting clutch engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds
- Faster drilling with synchronized RPM and BPM
- Job site tested shock absorbent handle protects the battery housing for extra durability
The Makita XRH04Z rotary hammer features a Makita-built variable speed motor that delivers a range of 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM, making it a powerful and versatile tool for a variety of applications.
With its 3-mode operation, you can choose from “Rotation Only”, “Hammering with Rotation”, or “Hammering Only” to suit different job requirements. This allows you to tackle a wide range of tasks with just one tool, making it a cost-effective and efficient solution for any job site.
Another great feature of the XRH04Z is its torque limiting clutch, which is designed to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds. This ensures that the tool remains in good condition and lasts longer, saving you money on repairs and replacements.
Additionally, the synchronized RPM and BPM make for faster drilling, saving you time and increasing productivity on the job. This is especially useful for larger or more demanding tasks where speed is essential.
Finally, the XRH04Z is built to withstand tough job site conditions, with a shock-absorbent handle that protects the battery housing for extra durability. This ensures that the tool can withstand heavy use and last longer, making it a reliable choice for any professional or DIYer.
Some potential downsides to consider include the weight of the tool, which may be too heavy for some users, as well as the noise level, which may be too loud for some job sites. Additionally, the battery life may be shorter than some other models, so it’s important to have spare batteries on hand for longer jobs.
The DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill: A Versatile Tool for All Your Drilling Needs
- Cordless hammer drill featuring 3.5 Joules of impact energy provides corded power without the cord
- DEWALT 20V hammer drill features E-Clutch for maximum control in bind-up situations - A Perform and Protect feature.
- SHOCKS - Active Vibration Control of DEWALT 20V brushless hammer drill reduces vibration felt by the user at the handles. A Perform and Protect feature.
- DEWALT built brushless motor for all day runtime and durability
- Retractable utility hook for convenient hanging
Cordless hammer drill with 3.5 Joules of impact energy delivers corded power without the cord. The DEWALT 20V hammer drill comes with the E-Clutch feature for maximum control in bind-up situations, making it a Perform and Protect tool. Additionally, it has SHOCKS – Active Vibration Control that reduces the vibration felt by the user at the handles, providing added safety and comfort. With a DEWALT-built brushless motor, this hammer drill offers all-day runtime and durability.
The retractable utility hook is a convenient feature that allows for easy hanging when not in use. The drill is German-engineered, ensuring high quality and durability. It is also dust management ready and can be used with D25304DH for effective dust management.
- Cordless design provides increased mobility and flexibility without compromising power
- E-Clutch feature allows for maximum control in bind-up situations, making it a Perform and Protect tool
- SHOCKS – Active Vibration Control reduces the vibration felt by the user, providing added safety and comfort
- DEWALT-built brushless motor offers all-day runtime and durability
- Retractable utility hook adds convenience and makes storage easy
- German-engineered design ensures high quality and durability
- Dust management ready, providing added safety and convenience for the user.
- Cordless design may require frequent recharging, limiting the runtime of the tool
- Cordless tools are often more expensive than corded ones
- The tool’s performance may decrease over time as the battery loses its capacity
- The retractable utility hook may be prone to breaking if not used carefully.
Denali by SKIL: Your Go-To Cordless Hammer Drill for Every Task
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers
- Cordless hammer drill kit with 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill for power and versatility
- Includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, bit, and belt clip
- Toggle between driver (for screws), drill (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill (for bricks and cement)
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick, easy bit changes
The cordless hammer drill kit is a versatile tool that is cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers. It includes a 20V hammer drill, two Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, a bit, and a belt clip.
One of the key features of this hammer drill is its 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill functions, which provide users with the power and versatility they need for any job. Users can toggle between the driver mode for screws, drill mode for wood, plastic, and metal, and hammer drill mode for bricks and cement, providing them with the ability to tackle any job with ease.
The hammer drill is equipped with a 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock, making it quick and easy to change bits as needed. It also has a 2-speed toggle switch, with a low speed for more torque and a high speed for more speed. The drill has a 0-420 and 0-1600 RPM no-load speed, providing users with precise control over their work.
The hammer drill has a reliable performance with a 0-6300 and 0-24000 BPM impact rate and 350-inch pounds maximum torque. This allows it to handle even the toughest jobs with ease, making it a great addition to any toolkit.
One of the drawbacks of this hammer drill kit is that it may not be as powerful as some corded drills, limiting its use in heavy-duty applications. Additionally, the 2.0Ah batteries may not provide enough runtime for extended use without the need for recharging.
Unleash Your DIY Potential with the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- 1/2in. Cordless hammer drill with high performance motor produces 280 unit watts out for heavy duty jobsite applications
- 1/2in. Ratcheting chuck for improved bit retention
- 25, 500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick
- 2speed gearbox with speeds of 0350/01, 500 for speed of fastening
The 1/2in. Cordless Hammer Drill is an integral part of the V20 cordless system, offering a high-performance motor that produces 280 unit watts out, making it suitable for heavy-duty jobsite applications. Its 1/2in. ratcheting chuck ensures improved bit retention, and its 25,500 bpms allows for faster drilling in concrete and brick. The drill features a 2-speed gearbox with speeds of 0-350/0-1,500 for fastening. The kit includes V20 20V MAX* Lithium Batteries with high-performance cells, providing ample runtime and increased performance. The V20 20V MAX* Lithium charger can charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less. Additionally, the drill is compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System (clip and accessories sold separately).
- Part of the V20 cordless system, allowing for compatibility with other V20 tools and batteries.
- High-performance motor and 1/2in. ratcheting chuck make it suitable for heavy-duty jobsite applications.
- High bpms allow for faster drilling in concrete and brick.
- 2-speed gearbox provides flexibility for different applications.
- Includes Lithium batteries and charger, providing ample runtime and quick charging time.
- Compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System, allowing for easy storage and accessibility.
- May not have as much power as corded tools.
- Lithium batteries may have a limited lifespan and require replacement after a certain period of use.
- Some users may prefer a dedicated hammer drill instead of a 2-in-1 tool.
- The VERSATRACK Wall Organization System clip and accessories are sold separately, increasing the overall cost.
In conclusion, the best cordless hammer drill is one that offers power, versatility, and convenience. It should be compatible with a range of tools, batteries, and chargers to provide flexibility in your projects. A high-performance motor, ratcheting chuck, and fast drilling speed are also important features to look for. Additionally, Lithium batteries that provide ample runtime and a fast-charging Lithium charger can make all the difference in a project’s efficiency. By considering all these factors, you can make an informed decision on which cordless hammer drill is the best fit for your needs.
What is a cordless hammer drill? A cordless hammer drill is a power tool that combines the functions of a regular drill with a hammer function, allowing it to drill into harder materials such as concrete or brick. It is cordless, which means it runs on a rechargeable battery and does not require a power outlet.
What should I look for when choosing a cordless hammer drill? Some factors to consider when choosing a cordless hammer drill include the power of the motor, the battery life, the weight and size of the tool, the chuck size and type, the speed and torque settings, and any additional features such as LED lights or an adjustable handle.
What are the advantages of a cordless hammer drill over a corded one? Cordless hammer drills offer more flexibility and mobility as they are not tied to a power outlet. They also tend to be lighter and easier to handle, making them a better option for overhead drilling or drilling in tight spaces. However, they may have less power and shorter battery life than corded models.
What is the best brand for cordless hammer drills? There are several reputable brands for cordless hammer drills, including DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, and Ryobi. Each brand offers different models with varying features and price points, so it is important to compare and choose based on your specific needs and budget.
How long do cordless hammer drill batteries last? The battery life of a cordless hammer drill depends on several factors, such as the capacity of the battery, the power of the motor, and the type of material being drilled. Generally, a fully charged battery can last anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, but it is always a good idea to have a backup battery on hand to avoid interruptions during a project.