When it comes to power tools, a cordless hammer drill is an essential piece of equipment for any DIY enthusiast or professional contractor. These versatile tools can drill through tough materials like concrete and brick, making them ideal for a wide range of tasks, from installing shelves to building decks.
But with so many options on the market, it can be challenging to determine which cordless hammer drill is the best for your needs. From battery life to power and torque, there are many factors to consider when making your purchase.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the top cordless hammer drills available today and provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a novice DIYer, we’ve got you covered with our comprehensive guide to the best cordless hammer drills on the market.
- Long-lasting performance: The DCD996P2's advanced battery technology
- BOSCH RH540M: The Ultimate Tool for Demolition and Renovation Projects
- Skil HD182002: A Versatile Tool for Any Drilling Job
- Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Cordless Solution for Concrete Drilling
- Get More Power and Control with the DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill
- Say Goodbye to Cords with Denali by SKIL Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
- CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill: The Ultimate DIY Companion
Long-lasting performance: The DCD996P2’s advanced battery technology
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor provides up to 75% more runtime than 18V NiCad brushed motors, ensuring longer and more efficient use of the hammer drill.
- The XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge offer 33% more capacity over standard packs, allowing for longer periods of uninterrupted work.
- The heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts provides superior bit gripping strength, reducing the likelihood of slips and increasing overall accuracy.
- The 3-Mode LED lighting system provides ample illumination in dark or confined spaces, ensuring maximum visibility and safety while using the tool.
- The LED Spotlight Mode has a 20-minute shutoff function, enabling extended work time in dark or confined spaces, increasing productivity.
- The 3-speed, all-metal high-performance transmission optimizes the tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time, making the hammer drill versatile and adaptable to different tasks.
- The drill mode has a wide range of 0-450 / 0-1300 / 0-2000 RPM, providing flexibility in adjusting the drill speed according to the task.
- The high power and efficiency of the brushless motor and Li-Ion batteries come at a higher price point compared to traditional NiCad brushed motors and standard battery packs.
- The heavy-duty metal chuck may add weight to the tool, making it more cumbersome to use for extended periods.
- The LED lighting system may drain the battery faster, requiring frequent recharging, which may disrupt workflow.
- The 3-speed transmission may be overwhelming or unnecessary for novice users, who may prefer a simpler tool with fewer options.
- The high RPM range in drill mode may be too fast for delicate tasks or materials, potentially causing damage or injury if not handled correctly.
BOSCH RH540M: The Ultimate Tool for Demolition and Renovation Projects
- CONVENIENT: The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer features the SDS-max Bit System for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
- POWER: This rotary hammer provides the best in class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. Weighing only, 15.2 lbs., the RH540M provides maximum productivity in all day drilling and chiseling applications
- VERSATILE: The RH540M features a combination dual mode selector knob to allow users to select between hammer drilling, chiseling only and the Vario-Lock function
- EFFICIENT: With Varo-Lock Positioning, the rotary hammer rotates and locks chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angle. The tool also comes complete with service minder brushes to notify users when maintenance is needed
- VARIABLE SPEED: The variable speed dial allows for controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which will easily reduce concrete to dust
The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer boasts several benefits, including:
- Convenience: The SDS-max Bit System allows for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection, and maximum impact energy transfer rate.
- Power: With a best-in-class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs, this rotary hammer is capable of handling all-day drilling and chiseling applications while weighing in at only 15.2 lbs.
- Versatility: The RH540M features a combination dual-mode selector knob that allows users to choose between hammer drilling, chiseling only, and the Vario-Lock function.
- Efficiency: The rotary hammer’s Varo-Lock Positioning enables the tool to rotate and lock the chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angles. Additionally, the tool comes with service minder brushes that notify users when maintenance is required.
- Variable speed: The variable speed dial offers controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which can quickly reduce concrete to dust.
However, there are also a few drawbacks to consider:
- Price: The Bosch RH540M is more expensive than some other rotary hammers on the market.
- Size: Although it is relatively lightweight for a rotary hammer, the RH540M may be too bulky for some users.
- Noise: As with most rotary hammers, this tool can be quite noisy during use, which may not be ideal for those working in noise-sensitive environments.
Skil HD182002: A Versatile Tool for Any Drilling Job
- Versatility at its best - From tightening screws to drilling into wood, metal and even concrete, this versatile hammer drill is the ideal DIY tool for a variety of home projects.
- Powerful - This drill is equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor that makes it ideal for the most demanding projects.
- TACKLES TOUGH JOBS - This ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy duty jobs.
- Speed control - The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control.
- Drill longer and more comfortably - The lock-on button lets you to drill for long periods of time. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options for greater stability.
Versatility at its best – This hammer drill is a multi-functional tool that can be used for tightening screws and drilling into various materials such as wood, metal, and concrete, making it an ideal choice for different DIY projects.
Powerful – With its high torque 7.5 Amp motor, this drill can handle the most demanding projects with ease. This powerful motor ensures that the drill can work through tough materials quickly and efficiently.
Tackles tough jobs – The ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy-duty jobs with ease. This feature ensures that the drill can handle tough materials and larger bits, making it a reliable tool for challenging projects.
Speed control – The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control over the drill, allowing the user to adjust the speed according to the task at hand. This feature ensures that the drill can be used for different materials and different drilling depths, making it a versatile tool.
Drill longer and more comfortably – The lock-on button allows for extended use without finger fatigue. This feature ensures that the user can drill for long periods of time without experiencing discomfort, and it also provides different holding options for greater stability.
Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Cordless Solution for Concrete Drilling
- Makita-built variable speed motor delivers 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM
- 3-mode operation for "Rotation Only", "Hammering with Rotation" or "Hammering Only" for multiple applications
- Torque limiting clutch engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds
- Faster drilling with synchronized RPM and BPM
- Job site tested shock absorbent handle protects the battery housing for extra durability
Makita’s variable speed motor delivers flexible RPM and BPM – ranging from 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM. With 3-mode operation options, users can choose “Rotation Only”, “Hammering with Rotation”, or “Hammering Only”, making it versatile for multiple applications.
The tool is engineered with a torque limiting clutch, which automatically disengages gears if the bit binds, preventing gear damage and increasing its lifespan. Additionally, the synchronized RPM and BPM feature provides faster drilling, increasing efficiency and productivity.
For added durability, the tool is equipped with a shock-absorbent handle that protects the battery housing from job site wear and tear.
The Makita-built rotary hammer has several advantages, including its flexibility, durability, and efficiency. The variable speed motor and 3-mode operation make it adaptable for various applications, while the torque limiting clutch and shock-absorbent handle increase the tool’s lifespan and overall durability. Additionally, the synchronized RPM and BPM feature increases drilling speed, resulting in faster work completion.
Get More Power and Control with the DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill
- Cordless hammer drill featuring 3.5 Joules of impact energy provides corded power without the cord
- DEWALT 20V hammer drill features E-Clutch for maximum control in bind-up situations - A Perform and Protect feature.
- SHOCKS - Active Vibration Control of DEWALT 20V brushless hammer drill reduces vibration felt by the user at the handles. A Perform and Protect feature.
- DEWALT built brushless motor for all day runtime and durability
- Retractable utility hook for convenient hanging
Cordless hammer drills have become increasingly popular among DIY enthusiasts and professionals alike. DEWALT’s 20V hammer drill is a great example of a cordless tool that offers powerful performance without the constraints of a cord.
The DEWALT 20V hammer drill features 3.5 Joules of impact energy, providing corded power without the cord. This is a significant advantage, as it allows users to work in areas where a power outlet is not available or convenient.
One of the standout features of this hammer drill is the E-Clutch technology, which provides maximum control in bind-up situations. This Perform and Protect feature ensures that the drill stops instantly when it encounters a jam, preventing damage to the tool and potential injury to the user.
Another Perform and Protect feature of the DEWALT 20V hammer drill is SHOCKS – Active Vibration Control. This technology reduces the amount of vibration felt by the user at the handles, making the tool more comfortable and easier to use for extended periods.
The DEWALT 20V hammer drill also features a built-in brushless motor, which provides all-day runtime and increased durability. This is a significant advantage, as it means that the tool can handle heavy use without wearing out quickly.
Other features of the DEWALT 20V hammer drill include a retractable utility hook for convenient hanging, and dust management readiness when used with the D25304DH.
The German engineering of this hammer drill ensures high quality and durability. However, one potential disadvantage of this tool is its higher cost compared to other cordless hammer drills on the market. Additionally, some users may find that the weight of the tool is a bit heavy, making it difficult to maneuver in tight spaces.
Say Goodbye to Cords with Denali by SKIL Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers
- Cordless hammer drill kit with 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill for power and versatility
- Includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, bit, and belt clip
- Toggle between driver (for screws), drill (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill (for bricks and cement)
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick, easy bit changes
This cordless hammer drill kit is compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers, allowing for flexibility and convenience. It features a 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill, providing power and versatility. The kit includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger capable of fully charging a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, as well as a bit and belt clip. The drill can toggle between driver mode (for screws), drill mode (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill mode (for bricks and cement). It also has a 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for easy and quick bit changes. With its 2-speed toggle, users can choose between low speed for more torque or high speed for more speed, with no-load speeds of 0-420 and 0-1600 rpm. The drill has a reliable performance, with a 0-6300 and 0-24000 bpm impact rate and a maximum torque of 350-inch pounds.
- Compatibility with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers allows for flexibility and convenience.
- 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill provides versatility.
- Comes with 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries and a 2.4A charger that can fully charge a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes.
- Toggle between driver, drill, and hammer drill modes for various applications.
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick and easy bit changes.
- 2-speed toggle with no-load speeds of 0-420 and 0-1600 rpm allows users to choose between low speed for more torque or high speed for more speed.
- Reliable performance with a 0-6300 and 0-24000 bpm impact rate and a maximum torque of 350-inch pounds.
- None specified in the given information.
CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill: The Ultimate DIY Companion
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- 1/2in. Cordless hammer drill with high performance motor produces 280 unit watts out for heavy duty jobsite applications
- 1/2in. Ratcheting chuck for improved bit retention
- 25, 500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick
- 2speed gearbox with speeds of 0350/01, 500 for speed of fastening
The 1/2in. cordless hammer drill is part of the V20 cordless system and is designed for heavy-duty jobsite applications. It features a high-performance motor that produces 280 unit watts out, making it a powerful tool for tough jobs. The 1/2in. ratcheting chuck improves bit retention, and the drill has a maximum speed of 25,500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick. The 2-speed gearbox has speeds of 0-350/0-1,500, providing flexibility for different applications. The kit includes V20 20V MAX* lithium batteries with high-performance cells that provide ample runtime and increased performance. The V20 20V MAX* lithium charger can charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less. The drill is also compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System, although the clip and accessories are sold separately.
- Part of the V20 cordless system, providing compatibility with other V20 tools and batteries.
- High-performance motor produces 280 unit watts out, making it a powerful tool for heavy-duty jobs.
- 1/2in. ratcheting chuck improves bit retention for improved performance.
- Maximum speed of 25,500 bpms allows for faster drilling in concrete and brick.
- 2-speed gearbox provides flexibility for different applications.
- V20 20V MAX* lithium batteries with high-performance cells provide ample runtime and increased performance.
- V20 20V MAX* lithium charger can charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less.
- May not be suitable for very heavy-duty jobs that require more power.
- The VERSATRACK Wall Organization System clip and accessories are sold separately, which may be an additional expense.
- The included batteries may have a limited lifespan and require replacement after a certain period of use.
In conclusion, the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit (CMCD711C2) is a great tool for heavy-duty jobsite applications. With its high-performance motor, ratcheting chuck, and fast drilling speed, it can handle a wide range of drilling and fastening tasks. Its compatibility with the V20 cordless system and high-performance Lithium batteries make it a versatile tool that can be used in conjunction with other V20 tools. While it may have some limitations due to its cordless nature and chuck size, it is still an excellent choice for anyone looking for a reliable and powerful cordless hammer drill. Overall, the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit is an excellent addition to any toolbox and is a top choice for the best cordless hammer drill.
What is the best cordless hammer drill on the market? There are many great cordless hammer drills on the market, but some of the top options include the Milwaukee M18 Fuel Hammer Drill, the DeWalt DCD996B Hammer Drill, the Makita XPH07Z Hammer Drill, the Bosch HDS183-02 Hammer Drill, and the Ryobi P1813 Hammer Drill.
What voltage battery is best for a cordless hammer drill? The voltage of the battery will determine the power and performance of the cordless hammer drill. A higher voltage battery will generally provide more power, but may also be heavier and more expensive. For most users, a cordless hammer drill with an 18V or 20V battery should be sufficient for most drilling and driving tasks.
How long does a cordless hammer drill battery last? The battery life of a cordless hammer drill will depend on the battery capacity and the amount of use. Most cordless hammer drill batteries will last anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours on a single charge, but some high-end models may provide even longer battery life.
Can cordless hammer drills be used for drilling into concrete? Yes, cordless hammer drills are designed to be used for drilling into concrete, brick, and other masonry materials. However, you will need to use the correct type of drill bit and ensure that the drill has enough power to handle the task.
What should I look for when buying a cordless hammer drill? When shopping for a cordless hammer drill, there are several factors to consider, including the power and voltage of the drill, the battery life and capacity, the weight and size of the drill, the durability and reliability of the brand, and any additional features or accessories that may be included. It’s important to choose a cordless hammer drill that is well-suited to your specific needs and tasks.