When it comes to tackling tough drilling tasks, a hammer drill cordless can be a game changer. With the ability to power through masonry, concrete, and other hard surfaces, a cordless hammer drill can save time and effort on any job site. But with so many models and brands available on the market, how do you determine the best one for your needs?
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the top contenders for the title of the best cordless hammer drill. We’ll examine each drill’s power, speed, and versatility, as well as any unique features or benefits that set it apart from the competition. By the end of this guide, you’ll have a better understanding of which cordless hammer drill is right for you and your next project. So let’s dive in and discover the best cordless hammer drill of the year!
- Get the job done faster: The time-saving features of the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit
- BOSCH RH540M: Your Go-To Rotary Hammer for Demolition and Masonry Work
- Skil HD182002: The Reliable and Durable Hammer Drill You Need
- Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Cordless Solution for Concrete Drilling
- Take Your Drilling to the Next Level with DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill
- Experience the Convenience of a Cordless Hammer Drill with Denali by SKIL
- The Ultimate Cordless Hammer Drill: CRAFTSMAN V20
Get the job done faster: The time-saving features of the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
The DEWALT 20V hammer drill is equipped with a high power, high efficiency brushless motor that is built by DEWALT. This technology delivers up to 75% more runtime compared to 18V NiCad brushed motors. Additionally, the cordless hammer drill uses XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge which provide 33% more capacity than standard packs. This means that you can work for longer periods of time without having to stop and recharge the batteries.
The heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts is designed for superior bit gripping strength. This ensures that your bits stay securely in place while you work, preventing slipping and increasing accuracy. The cordless hammer drill also features a 3-Mode LED light that provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than the previous model. The LED Spotlight Mode even has a 20-minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces.
The 3-speed, all-metal high performance transmission optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time. This allows you to choose the speed that is best suited for your task, giving you more control and precision. The drill mode has a speed range of 0-450 / 0-1300 / 0-2000 RPM, giving you the flexibility to work with a variety of materials.
Overall, the DEWALT 20V hammer drill is a powerful, efficient, and versatile tool that is designed to meet the demands of heavy-duty drilling tasks. Its brushless motor, XR Li-Ion batteries, heavy-duty chuck, and LED light all contribute to its high performance and long-lasting durability. One potential drawback of this tool is its relatively high price point compared to other models on the market. Additionally, some users may find the 3-speed transmission to be a bit complex to navigate.
BOSCH RH540M: Your Go-To Rotary Hammer for Demolition and Masonry Work
- CONVENIENT: The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer features the SDS-max Bit System for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
- POWER: This rotary hammer provides the best in class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. Weighing only, 15.2 lbs., the RH540M provides maximum productivity in all day drilling and chiseling applications
- VERSATILE: The RH540M features a combination dual mode selector knob to allow users to select between hammer drilling, chiseling only and the Vario-Lock function
- EFFICIENT: With Varo-Lock Positioning, the rotary hammer rotates and locks chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angle. The tool also comes complete with service minder brushes to notify users when maintenance is needed
- VARIABLE SPEED: The variable speed dial allows for controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which will easily reduce concrete to dust
The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer is a versatile and powerful tool that offers many benefits for users. One advantage of this tool is its convenience, thanks to the SDS-max Bit System, which enables tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection, and maximum impact energy transfer rate. However, this convenience can also be seen as a disadvantage, as the tool may require more maintenance over time due to the complexity of the SDS-max Bit System.
Another advantage of the RH540M is its power, with a best in class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. However, this power comes with a trade-off, as the tool weighs 15.2 lbs., which may be heavy for some users and lead to fatigue over time.
The RH540M is also versatile, featuring a combination dual mode selector knob that allows users to select between hammer drilling, chiseling only, and the Vario-Lock function. This versatility can be seen as an advantage, as users can switch between modes to suit different applications. However, it can also be seen as a disadvantage, as the dual mode selector may be more complex and confusing for some users.
Efficiency is another advantage of the RH540M, thanks to the Varo-Lock Positioning feature that enables the tool to rotate and lock chisel into 12 different positions to optimize the working angle. Additionally, the tool comes with service minder brushes that notify users when maintenance is needed. However, this efficiency may also require more maintenance and upkeep over time.
Finally, the variable speed dial of the RH540M allows for controlled drilling and chiseling applications, with the motor rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode. This variable speed can be an advantage for users who need precise control over their drilling and chiseling, but it may also be a disadvantage for those who prefer a more simple, straightforward tool.
Skil HD182002: The Reliable and Durable Hammer Drill You Need
- Versatility at its best - From tightening screws to drilling into wood, metal and even concrete, this versatile hammer drill is the ideal DIY tool for a variety of home projects.
- Powerful - This drill is equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor that makes it ideal for the most demanding projects.
- TACKLES TOUGH JOBS - This ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy duty jobs.
- Speed control - The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control.
- Drill longer and more comfortably - The lock-on button lets you to drill for long periods of time. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options for greater stability.
Versatility at its best – This hammer drill is a multi-functional tool that can be used for tightening screws and drilling into various materials such as wood, metal, and concrete, making it an ideal choice for different DIY projects.
Powerful – With its high torque 7.5 Amp motor, this drill can handle the most demanding projects with ease. This powerful motor ensures that the drill can work through tough materials quickly and efficiently.
Tackles tough jobs – The ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy-duty jobs with ease. This feature ensures that the drill can handle tough materials and larger bits, making it a reliable tool for challenging projects.
Speed control – The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control over the drill, allowing the user to adjust the speed according to the task at hand. This feature ensures that the drill can be used for different materials and different drilling depths, making it a versatile tool.
Drill longer and more comfortably – The lock-on button allows for extended use without finger fatigue. This feature ensures that the user can drill for long periods of time without experiencing discomfort, and it also provides different holding options for greater stability.
Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Cordless Solution for Concrete Drilling
- Makita-built variable speed motor delivers 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM
- 3-mode operation for "Rotation Only", "Hammering with Rotation" or "Hammering Only" for multiple applications
- Torque limiting clutch engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds
- Faster drilling with synchronized RPM and BPM
- Job site tested shock absorbent handle protects the battery housing for extra durability
The Makita-built variable speed motor is a key feature of this tool, offering impressive RPM and BPM ranges of 0-1,200 and 0-4,000 respectively. With 3-mode operation, including “Rotation Only”, “Hammering with Rotation” or “Hammering Only”, this tool is highly versatile and can be used for a range of applications.
Additionally, the torque limiting clutch is an essential safety feature that automatically disengages gears if the bit binds, preventing gear damage and prolonging the life of the tool.
The synchronized RPM and BPM capabilities make for faster drilling, allowing you to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
Finally, the shock-absorbent handle has been tested on job sites and provides extra durability, protecting the battery housing and ensuring the tool can withstand harsh conditions.
While this tool offers impressive features and capabilities, there are a few potential downsides to consider. The tool can be quite heavy and bulky, which may make it difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. Additionally, the battery life may not be as long as some users would prefer, so it’s important to have a spare battery on hand if you plan on using the tool for extended periods of time. Finally, the tool can be quite noisy, which may be a concern if you’re working in a residential area or other noise-sensitive environment.
Take Your Drilling to the Next Level with DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill
- Cordless hammer drill featuring 3.5 Joules of impact energy provides corded power without the cord
- DEWALT 20V hammer drill features E-Clutch for maximum control in bind-up situations - A Perform and Protect feature.
- SHOCKS - Active Vibration Control of DEWALT 20V brushless hammer drill reduces vibration felt by the user at the handles. A Perform and Protect feature.
- DEWALT built brushless motor for all day runtime and durability
- Retractable utility hook for convenient hanging
Cordless hammer drills have become increasingly popular among DIY enthusiasts and professionals alike. DEWALT’s 20V hammer drill is a great example of a cordless tool that offers powerful performance without the constraints of a cord.
The DEWALT 20V hammer drill features 3.5 Joules of impact energy, providing corded power without the cord. This is a significant advantage, as it allows users to work in areas where a power outlet is not available or convenient.
One of the standout features of this hammer drill is the E-Clutch technology, which provides maximum control in bind-up situations. This Perform and Protect feature ensures that the drill stops instantly when it encounters a jam, preventing damage to the tool and potential injury to the user.
Another Perform and Protect feature of the DEWALT 20V hammer drill is SHOCKS – Active Vibration Control. This technology reduces the amount of vibration felt by the user at the handles, making the tool more comfortable and easier to use for extended periods.
The DEWALT 20V hammer drill also features a built-in brushless motor, which provides all-day runtime and increased durability. This is a significant advantage, as it means that the tool can handle heavy use without wearing out quickly.
Other features of the DEWALT 20V hammer drill include a retractable utility hook for convenient hanging, and dust management readiness when used with the D25304DH.
The German engineering of this hammer drill ensures high quality and durability. However, one potential disadvantage of this tool is its higher cost compared to other cordless hammer drills on the market. Additionally, some users may find that the weight of the tool is a bit heavy, making it difficult to maneuver in tight spaces.
Experience the Convenience of a Cordless Hammer Drill with Denali by SKIL
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers
- Cordless hammer drill kit with 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill for power and versatility
- Includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, bit, and belt clip
- Toggle between driver (for screws), drill (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill (for bricks and cement)
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick, easy bit changes
The SKIL PWRCORE 20 Cordless Hammer Drill kit offers a variety of features to enhance its versatility and performance.
One of the key benefits of this drill is that it is cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers. This means that users who already own other SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools can use the same batteries and charger with this drill, reducing the need to purchase additional equipment.
The drill itself is designed to be a 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill, making it a versatile tool for a wide range of projects. It includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, a bit, and a belt clip.
Users can toggle between driver mode (for screws), drill mode (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill mode (for bricks and cement) depending on the project requirements. The 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock makes it easy to change bits quickly and efficiently.
The drill also features a 2-speed toggle that allows users to choose between low torque/high speed or high torque/low speed, with no-load speeds of 0-420 and 0-1600 rpm. The impact rate is 0-6300 and 0-24000 bpm, and the drill offers a maximum torque of 350-inch pounds.
The Ultimate Cordless Hammer Drill: CRAFTSMAN V20
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- 1/2in. Cordless hammer drill with high performance motor produces 280 unit watts out for heavy duty jobsite applications
- 1/2in. Ratcheting chuck for improved bit retention
- 25, 500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick
- 2speed gearbox with speeds of 0350/01, 500 for speed of fastening
This powerful cordless hammer drill is part of the V20 system, making it compatible with other V20 tools and batteries. It features a high-performance motor that produces 280 unit watts out, making it suitable for heavy-duty jobsite applications. The 1/2in. ratcheting chuck improves bit retention, and the 25,500 bpms provide faster drilling in concrete and brick. The 2-speed gearbox allows for speeds of 0-350/0-1,500 for fastening. The kit includes V20 20V MAX* lithium batteries with high-performance cells that provide ample runtime and increased performance, and the V20 20V MAX* lithium charger can fully charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less. This hammer drill is also compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System, but clips and accessories are sold separately.
- Part of the V20 system, making it compatible with other V20 tools and batteries.
- High-performance motor and 1/2in. ratcheting chuck make it suitable for heavy-duty jobsite applications.
- 25,500 bpms provide faster drilling in concrete and brick.
- 2-speed gearbox allows for fastening speeds of 0-350/0-1,500.
- Lithium batteries with high-performance cells provide ample runtime and increased performance.
- Lithium charger can fully charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less.
- Clips and accessories for the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System are sold separately.
- Cordless tools may not have as much power as corded tools.
- Lithium batteries may have a limited lifespan and require replacement after a certain period of use.
- May not be suitable for heavy-duty applications that require more power or specialized tools.
In conclusion, the cordless hammer drill is an essential tool for any DIY enthusiast or professional contractor. Its cordless design offers freedom of movement and convenience, while its powerful motor, high-performance Lithium batteries, and fast-charging Lithium charger make it a reliable and efficient tool for heavy-duty jobsite applications. While there are many cordless hammer drills on the market, the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit stands out for its compatibility with the V20 cordless system, improved bit retention, fast drilling speed, and two-speed gearbox. Overall, the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit is a top-performing tool that can handle a variety of tasks and is an excellent addition to any toolbox.
What is the maximum voltage for a cordless hammer drill? Most cordless hammer drills are available in various voltage ratings, ranging from 12V to 36V. However, a 20V or 18V cordless hammer drill is generally considered sufficient for most DIY tasks.
How long does the battery last on a cordless hammer drill? Battery life varies depending on the manufacturer, battery capacity, and usage. Some models come with a high-capacity battery that can last up to several hours, while others may require frequent recharging. It’s best to look for a hammer drill with a long battery life if you plan on using it for extended periods.
What is the weight of a cordless hammer drill? Cordless hammer drills vary in weight, but they are generally lighter than their corded counterparts. Most cordless hammer drills weigh between 3 to 6 pounds, with some lighter models weighing as little as 2 pounds.
How many clutch settings does a cordless hammer drill have? Cordless hammer drills typically have multiple clutch settings that allow you to adjust the torque output. The number of clutch settings varies depending on the model, with some drills having as few as 2 settings and others having up to 24 or more.
Is it possible to use a cordless hammer drill for masonry work? Yes, a cordless hammer drill can be used for masonry work. However, you will need to use a masonry drill bit and ensure that the drill has enough power to handle the task. It’s also important to use the proper drilling technique and take appropriate safety precautions.