When it comes to drilling through tough materials like concrete or masonry, having the right tool can make all the difference. And while traditional corded hammer drills have been the go-to choice for many professionals and DIY enthusiasts for years, cordless hammer drills have been rapidly gaining popularity in recent times.
With advancements in battery technology, modern cordless hammer drills offer comparable power and performance to their corded counterparts while offering the added convenience of being cordless. But with so many options on the market, it can be tough to determine which one is the best for your needs.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the top cordless hammer drills available today and explore their key features and benefits. Whether you’re a professional contractor or a DIY enthusiast, we’re confident that our guide will help you find the best cordless hammer drill to tackle your next project with ease.
- DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit vs. competitors: How does it stack up?
- BOSCH RH540M: The Perfect Combination of Power and Precision
- Skil HD182002: The Ultimate Hammer Drill for All Your Drilling Needs
- Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Ideal Tool for Electricians and Plumbers
- Get More Power and Control with the DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill
- Get More Done in Less Time with Denali by SKIL Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
- Achieve Professional Results with the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill
DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit vs. competitors: How does it stack up?
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
The DEWALT 20V hammer drill is equipped with a high power, high efficiency brushless motor, which is built by DEWALT. This motor provides up to 75% more runtime compared to 18V NiCad brushed motors. This is an advantage because it allows for longer use of the tool before needing to recharge the battery.
In addition, the XR Li-Ion batteries of the cordless hammer drill feature a fuel gauge and provide 33% more capacity over standard packs. This is another advantage because it allows for more work to be done before needing to replace or recharge the battery.
The hammer drill also features a heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength. This is an advantage because it provides a stronger grip on the drill bit, preventing slippage and increasing precision.
The 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than the previous model, while the LED Spotlight Mode features a 20-minute shutoff function, allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces. These are both advantages because they improve visibility and allow for longer work times in low-light conditions.
The hammer drill also features a 3-speed, all-metal high performance transmission that optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time. This is an advantage because it allows the user to adjust the speed of the drill to match the requirements of the task.
However, one potential disadvantage of this hammer drill is its price. The DEWALT brand is known for its high-quality and durable tools, but they often come with a higher price tag compared to other brands.
BOSCH RH540M: The Perfect Combination of Power and Precision
- CONVENIENT: The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer features the SDS-max Bit System for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
- POWER: This rotary hammer provides the best in class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. Weighing only, 15.2 lbs., the RH540M provides maximum productivity in all day drilling and chiseling applications
- VERSATILE: The RH540M features a combination dual mode selector knob to allow users to select between hammer drilling, chiseling only and the Vario-Lock function
- EFFICIENT: With Varo-Lock Positioning, the rotary hammer rotates and locks chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angle. The tool also comes complete with service minder brushes to notify users when maintenance is needed
- VARIABLE SPEED: The variable speed dial allows for controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which will easily reduce concrete to dust
The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer boasts several benefits, including:
- Convenience: The SDS-max Bit System allows for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection, and maximum impact energy transfer rate.
- Power: With a best-in-class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs, this rotary hammer is capable of handling all-day drilling and chiseling applications while weighing in at only 15.2 lbs.
- Versatility: The RH540M features a combination dual-mode selector knob that allows users to choose between hammer drilling, chiseling only, and the Vario-Lock function.
- Efficiency: The rotary hammer’s Varo-Lock Positioning enables the tool to rotate and lock the chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angles. Additionally, the tool comes with service minder brushes that notify users when maintenance is required.
- Variable speed: The variable speed dial offers controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which can quickly reduce concrete to dust.
However, there are also a few drawbacks to consider:
- Price: The Bosch RH540M is more expensive than some other rotary hammers on the market.
- Size: Although it is relatively lightweight for a rotary hammer, the RH540M may be too bulky for some users.
- Noise: As with most rotary hammers, this tool can be quite noisy during use, which may not be ideal for those working in noise-sensitive environments.
Skil HD182002: The Ultimate Hammer Drill for All Your Drilling Needs
- Versatility at its best - From tightening screws to drilling into wood, metal and even concrete, this versatile hammer drill is the ideal DIY tool for a variety of home projects.
- Powerful - This drill is equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor that makes it ideal for the most demanding projects.
- TACKLES TOUGH JOBS - This ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy duty jobs.
- Speed control - The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control.
- Drill longer and more comfortably - The lock-on button lets you to drill for long periods of time. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options for greater stability.
Versatility is the highlight of this hammer drill, capable of handling a wide range of DIY projects such as tightening screws, drilling into wood, metal, and even concrete. The drill’s ability to tackle diverse materials makes it an essential tool for any DIY enthusiast.
In addition to its versatility, the drill’s high torque 7.5 Amp motor provides ample power for the most demanding projects, ensuring that it can handle even the toughest jobs. Its heavy-duty ½” keyed chuck also allows for larger bits, which can help power through thick materials with ease.
The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control over the speed of the drill, allowing for more precise drilling and ensuring that the user has the right amount of power for each job.
One of the drill’s most significant advantages is its lock-on button, which enables longer and more comfortable drilling. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options, increasing stability and control.
However, this drill’s versatility and power come with a few drawbacks. For example, its heavier motor may make it more challenging to maneuver for extended periods. Additionally, its heavy-duty design may make it more challenging to use in tight spaces or for more delicate jobs.
Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Ideal Tool for Electricians and Plumbers
- Makita-built variable speed motor delivers 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM
- 3-mode operation for "Rotation Only", "Hammering with Rotation" or "Hammering Only" for multiple applications
- Torque limiting clutch engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds
- Faster drilling with synchronized RPM and BPM
- Job site tested shock absorbent handle protects the battery housing for extra durability
The Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer features a Makita-built variable speed motor that delivers 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM. Its 3-mode operation allows for “Rotation Only”, “Hammering with Rotation” or “Hammering Only”, making it a versatile tool for multiple applications.
The torque limiting clutch is designed to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds, protecting the tool from wear and tear. Additionally, its synchronized RPM and BPM allow for faster drilling, making it a reliable tool for even the most demanding jobs.
The job site tested shock absorbent handle protects the battery housing for extra durability, ensuring that the tool can withstand harsh conditions and heavy use.
Get More Power and Control with the DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill
- Cordless hammer drill featuring 3.5 Joules of impact energy provides corded power without the cord
- DEWALT 20V hammer drill features E-Clutch for maximum control in bind-up situations - A Perform and Protect feature.
- SHOCKS - Active Vibration Control of DEWALT 20V brushless hammer drill reduces vibration felt by the user at the handles. A Perform and Protect feature.
- DEWALT built brushless motor for all day runtime and durability
- Retractable utility hook for convenient hanging
Cordless hammer drill with 3.5 Joules of impact energy offers corded power without the hassle of cords. The DEWALT 20V hammer drill boasts an E-Clutch feature that ensures maximum control in situations where the tool might bind up, which is a Perform and Protect feature. Moreover, the hammer drill is equipped with SHOCKS – Active Vibration Control that helps reduce the vibrations felt by the user at the handles, making it a Perform and Protect feature.
Additionally, this hammer drill is designed with a DEWALT-built brushless motor that provides durability and all-day runtime. Its retractable utility hook allows for convenient hanging, and it is German-engineered for quality and durability. Furthermore, it is dust management ready, and it can be used with the D25304DH accessory.
The advantage of this cordless hammer drill is its cordless feature, which makes it easy to maneuver and use in hard-to-reach areas without the limitation of cords. It also has an E-Clutch feature that maximizes control in bind-up situations, which helps prevent accidents and damage to the tool. Furthermore, the Active Vibration Control feature reduces the amount of vibration felt by the user, which can lead to less fatigue and strain.
However, the disadvantage of this tool is that it may be less powerful than corded models. Additionally, cordless tools are often more expensive and may require frequent recharging, which can be inconvenient if a job requires continuous use. Moreover, some users may find the hammer drill to be heavy and bulky, which can make it difficult to use for extended periods.
Get More Done in Less Time with Denali by SKIL Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers
- Cordless hammer drill kit with 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill for power and versatility
- Includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, bit, and belt clip
- Toggle between driver (for screws), drill (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill (for bricks and cement)
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick, easy bit changes
This cordless hammer drill kit offers power and versatility with its 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill capabilities. It is cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers, making it a convenient addition to your toolkit. The kit includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that can fully charge a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, a bit, and a belt clip. You can toggle between driver mode (for screws), drill mode (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill mode (for bricks and cement) for your drilling needs. The 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock allows for quick and easy bit changes. With a 2 speed toggle, you can switch between low for more torque or high for more speed, with no load speeds of 0-420 and 0-1600 rpm. The drill also boasts reliable performance with 0-6300 and 0-24000 bpm impact rate and a maximum torque of 350-inch pounds.
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers, making it a convenient addition to your toolkit.
- Offers 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill capabilities, providing versatility for different drilling needs.
- Comes with 2 lithium batteries, a fast-charging charger, bit, and belt clip for a complete kit.
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock allows for quick and easy bit changes.
- 2 speed toggle allows for a choice between more torque or more speed.
- Reliable performance with high impact rate and maximum torque.
- Cordless drill may not provide as much power as corded drills for heavy-duty jobs.
- The kit may be more expensive than some other models on the market.
Achieve Professional Results with the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- 1/2in. Cordless hammer drill with high performance motor produces 280 unit watts out for heavy duty jobsite applications
- 1/2in. Ratcheting chuck for improved bit retention
- 25, 500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick
- 2speed gearbox with speeds of 0350/01, 500 for speed of fastening
The V20 Cordless Hammer Drill is an essential part of the V20 cordless system. This 1/2in. drill features a high-performance motor that produces 280 unit watts, making it ideal for heavy-duty jobsite applications. The 1/2in. ratcheting chuck improves bit retention, while the 25,500 bpms speed up drilling in concrete and brick. The 2-speed gearbox offers speeds of 0350/01,500 for fastening. The V20 20V MAX* Lithium Batteries come with high-performance cells that provide ample runtime and increased performance. The V20 20V MAX* Lithium charger offers a 60-minute or less charge time on the included battery. Additionally, the drill is compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System, with clips and accessories sold separately.
- Part of the V20 cordless system, allowing for compatibility with other V20 tools and batteries
- High-performance motor produces 280 unit watts for heavy-duty jobsite applications
- 1/2in. ratcheting chuck improves bit retention
- 25,500 bpms speed up drilling in concrete and brick
- 2-speed gearbox offers flexibility for fastening
- V20 20V MAX* Lithium Batteries provide ample runtime and increased performance
- V20 20V MAX* Lithium charger offers a quick charge time
- Compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System, providing additional storage options
- Cordless tools may not have as much power as corded tools
- Lithium batteries may have a limited lifespan and require replacement after a certain period of use
- The drill may not be suitable for heavy-duty applications that require more power or specialized tools
- Clips and accessories for the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System are sold separately, adding to the overall cost of the tool.
In conclusion, the best hammer drill cordless is a versatile and powerful tool that can handle a variety of tasks with ease. It offers convenience and portability, allowing you to work in any location without the restrictions of cords or power outlets.
When selecting the best hammer drill cordless, it’s essential to consider the battery life, power output, chuck size, and weight to ensure you choose the right tool for your needs. Whether you’re a DIY enthusiast or a professional contractor, a cordless hammer drill is an excellent investment that will save you time and effort on any job.
Ultimately, the best hammer drill cordless is one that meets your specific requirements and preferences. With the variety of options available on the market, take the time to research and compare features to find the perfect cordless hammer drill that will help you get the job done efficiently and effectively.
What is a hammer drill cordless and how does it differ from a regular cordless drill? A hammer drill cordless is a power tool that can drill through hard materials like concrete, stone, and masonry. It uses a hammering action to break up the material as it drills, whereas a regular cordless drill only spins the drill bit. This makes a hammer drill cordless much more powerful and versatile than a regular cordless drill.
What are the benefits of a cordless hammer drill over a corded one? Cordless hammer drills are more portable and convenient since they don’t require a power outlet or extension cord. They also offer greater flexibility and freedom of movement, which can be particularly useful for outdoor projects or working in tight spaces.
How long does the battery last on a cordless hammer drill? The battery life of a cordless hammer drill can vary depending on the brand and model, as well as the type of work being done. Generally, a good quality cordless hammer drill should offer at least an hour of continuous use on a single charge, but some models can last for several hours.
Can a cordless hammer drill be used for tasks other than drilling and driving? Yes, many cordless hammer drills come with additional features such as a hammer-only mode, which can be used for chipping and breaking up concrete or masonry. Some models may also have a built-in LED light, which can come in handy when working in dimly lit areas.
What should I look for when choosing a cordless hammer drill? When choosing a cordless hammer drill, it’s important to consider factors such as battery life, power, weight, and ergonomics. You should also look for a model that comes with a range of drill bits and accessories, as well as a warranty and customer support in case of any issues.