When it comes to drilling through tough materials like concrete or masonry, having the right tool can make all the difference. And while traditional corded hammer drills have been the go-to choice for many professionals and DIY enthusiasts for years, cordless hammer drills have been rapidly gaining popularity in recent times.
With advancements in battery technology, modern cordless hammer drills offer comparable power and performance to their corded counterparts while offering the added convenience of being cordless. But with so many options on the market, it can be tough to determine which one is the best for your needs.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the top cordless hammer drills available today and explore their key features and benefits. Whether you’re a professional contractor or a DIY enthusiast, we’re confident that our guide will help you find the best cordless hammer drill to tackle your next project with ease.
- The ultimate guide to the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit (DCD996P2)
- BOSCH RH540M: The SDS-Max Rotary Hammer for Heavy-Duty Applications.
- Skil HD182002: The Hammer Drill with 100pcs Drill Bit Set for Any Drilling Task
- Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Ideal Tool for Electricians and Plumbers
- DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill: The Perfect Tool for Electricians and Plumbers
- Denali by SKIL: The Ultimate Cordless Hammer Drill for Every Job
- CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit: The Ideal Tool for All Your Needs
The ultimate guide to the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit (DCD996P2)
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
The DEWALT 20V hammer drill is equipped with a high power, high efficiency brushless motor, which is built by DEWALT. This motor provides up to 75% more runtime compared to 18V NiCad brushed motors. This is an advantage because it allows for longer use of the tool before needing to recharge the battery.
In addition, the XR Li-Ion batteries of the cordless hammer drill feature a fuel gauge and provide 33% more capacity over standard packs. This is another advantage because it allows for more work to be done before needing to replace or recharge the battery.
The hammer drill also features a heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength. This is an advantage because it provides a stronger grip on the drill bit, preventing slippage and increasing precision.
The 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than the previous model, while the LED Spotlight Mode features a 20-minute shutoff function, allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces. These are both advantages because they improve visibility and allow for longer work times in low-light conditions.
The hammer drill also features a 3-speed, all-metal high performance transmission that optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time. This is an advantage because it allows the user to adjust the speed of the drill to match the requirements of the task.
However, one potential disadvantage of this hammer drill is its price. The DEWALT brand is known for its high-quality and durable tools, but they often come with a higher price tag compared to other brands.
BOSCH RH540M: The SDS-Max Rotary Hammer for Heavy-Duty Applications.
- CONVENIENT: The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer features the SDS-max Bit System for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
- POWER: This rotary hammer provides the best in class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. Weighing only, 15.2 lbs., the RH540M provides maximum productivity in all day drilling and chiseling applications
- VERSATILE: The RH540M features a combination dual mode selector knob to allow users to select between hammer drilling, chiseling only and the Vario-Lock function
- EFFICIENT: With Varo-Lock Positioning, the rotary hammer rotates and locks chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angle. The tool also comes complete with service minder brushes to notify users when maintenance is needed
- VARIABLE SPEED: The variable speed dial allows for controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which will easily reduce concrete to dust
- Convenient SDS-max Bit System allows for easy tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking and dust protection
- Powerful impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. for maximum productivity in drilling and chiseling applications
- Versatile dual mode selector knob for hammer drilling, chiseling only, and Vario-Lock function
- Efficient Varo-Lock Positioning for optimal working angles, and service minder brushes to alert users when maintenance is needed
- Variable speed dial for controlled drilling and chiseling, with a motor rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode.
- Weighing 15.2 lbs., the RH540M may be heavy and tiring to use for extended periods of time
- The powerful impact energy may be excessive for some applications, leading to over-drilling and damage to surfaces or materials
- The rotary hammer may be loud and produce significant vibrations, which may cause discomfort or hearing damage if not used with proper safety equipment.
Skil HD182002: The Hammer Drill with 100pcs Drill Bit Set for Any Drilling Task
- Versatility at its best - From tightening screws to drilling into wood, metal and even concrete, this versatile hammer drill is the ideal DIY tool for a variety of home projects.
- Powerful - This drill is equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor that makes it ideal for the most demanding projects.
- TACKLES TOUGH JOBS - This ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy duty jobs.
- Speed control - The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control.
- Drill longer and more comfortably - The lock-on button lets you to drill for long periods of time. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options for greater stability.
One of the best features of this hammer drill is its versatility. Whether you need to tighten screws or drill into wood, metal, or concrete, this tool can handle a variety of home projects with ease. The ability to use one tool for multiple purposes saves space in your toolbox and money in your wallet.
Another advantage of this drill is its power. Equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor, it can tackle even the most demanding projects. This makes it a great tool for professionals or DIY enthusiasts who need a reliable tool for heavy-duty jobs.
The ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck is also an advantage, as it allows for larger bits to be used to power through tough jobs. This means you won’t need to switch out bits as often, saving you time and effort.
The 2-finger variable speed trigger is another great feature, as it provides increased control when using the tool. This can be particularly useful when drilling into delicate materials or when you need to control the speed for a specific task.
The lock-on button is another advantage, as it allows you to drill for long periods of time without experiencing finger fatigue. It also allows for different holding options, which can provide greater stability when using the tool.
One disadvantage of this tool is that it may be more expensive than other hammer drills on the market. Additionally, some users may find the weight of the tool to be too heavy or cumbersome, which could lead to discomfort or fatigue during use.
Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Ideal Tool for Electricians and Plumbers
- Makita-built variable speed motor delivers 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM
- 3-mode operation for "Rotation Only", "Hammering with Rotation" or "Hammering Only" for multiple applications
- Torque limiting clutch engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds
- Faster drilling with synchronized RPM and BPM
- Job site tested shock absorbent handle protects the battery housing for extra durability
Makita’s variable speed motor is capable of delivering 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM, providing exceptional power and precision for a wide range of applications. With 3-mode operation options, you can choose between “Rotation Only”, “Hammering with Rotation” or “Hammering Only”, giving you the flexibility to tackle different types of projects with ease.
The torque limiting clutch is a particularly useful feature, engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds. This helps to prolong the life of your tool and ensures that you can work safely and efficiently.
With synchronized RPM and BPM, this rotary hammer delivers faster drilling speeds and more efficient performance. This is particularly useful for larger or more complex jobs, where speed and accuracy are essential.
The shock absorbent handle has been tested on job sites and is designed to protect the battery housing, ensuring that your tool is both durable and reliable. This provides peace of mind when working in tough conditions and ensures that your tool will withstand heavy use over time.
While the Makita rotary hammer offers many benefits, some potential drawbacks to consider include its weight and size, which may not be suitable for all users or applications. Additionally, the need for a compatible battery and charger can add to the cost of the tool, making it a more significant investment.
DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill: The Perfect Tool for Electricians and Plumbers
- Cordless hammer drill featuring 3.5 Joules of impact energy provides corded power without the cord
- DEWALT 20V hammer drill features E-Clutch for maximum control in bind-up situations - A Perform and Protect feature.
- SHOCKS - Active Vibration Control of DEWALT 20V brushless hammer drill reduces vibration felt by the user at the handles. A Perform and Protect feature.
- DEWALT built brushless motor for all day runtime and durability
- Retractable utility hook for convenient hanging
Cordless hammer drill with 3.5 Joules of impact energy offers corded power without the hassle of cords. The DEWALT 20V hammer drill boasts an E-Clutch feature that ensures maximum control in situations where the tool might bind up, which is a Perform and Protect feature. Moreover, the hammer drill is equipped with SHOCKS – Active Vibration Control that helps reduce the vibrations felt by the user at the handles, making it a Perform and Protect feature.
Additionally, this hammer drill is designed with a DEWALT-built brushless motor that provides durability and all-day runtime. Its retractable utility hook allows for convenient hanging, and it is German-engineered for quality and durability. Furthermore, it is dust management ready, and it can be used with the D25304DH accessory.
The advantage of this cordless hammer drill is its cordless feature, which makes it easy to maneuver and use in hard-to-reach areas without the limitation of cords. It also has an E-Clutch feature that maximizes control in bind-up situations, which helps prevent accidents and damage to the tool. Furthermore, the Active Vibration Control feature reduces the amount of vibration felt by the user, which can lead to less fatigue and strain.
However, the disadvantage of this tool is that it may be less powerful than corded models. Additionally, cordless tools are often more expensive and may require frequent recharging, which can be inconvenient if a job requires continuous use. Moreover, some users may find the hammer drill to be heavy and bulky, which can make it difficult to use for extended periods.
Denali by SKIL: The Ultimate Cordless Hammer Drill for Every Job
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers
- Cordless hammer drill kit with 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill for power and versatility
- Includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, bit, and belt clip
- Toggle between driver (for screws), drill (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill (for bricks and cement)
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick, easy bit changes
This cordless hammer drill kit offers versatility and compatibility with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers. It includes a 20V hammer drill that features a 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill functions for a wide range of applications. Additionally, the kit comes with 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger capable of fully charging a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, a belt clip, and a bit.
The drill features a 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with an auto spindle lock, enabling quick and easy bit changes. The 2-speed toggle allows you to toggle between low for more torque or high for more speed, with a 0-420 and 0-1600 rpm no load speed. The drill also offers reliable performance with an impact rate of 0-6300 and 0-24000 bpm, and a maximum torque of 350-inch pounds.
- The cross-compatibility with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers allows for greater flexibility and cost-effectiveness.
- The 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill functions offer versatility for a wide range of applications.
- The inclusion of 2 batteries and a fast-charging charger ensures longer use time and less downtime.
- The 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock makes it easy to change bits quickly and efficiently.
- The 2-speed toggle offers flexibility in terms of torque and speed, allowing for greater control over the drilling process.
- The high impact rate and maximum torque ensure reliable performance in tough drilling applications.
- As a cordless drill, the battery life may not be sufficient for heavy-duty tasks that require extended use.
- The reliance on batteries means that it may not be as powerful as corded drills.
- The price may be higher compared to other cordless drill options on the market.
CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit: The Ideal Tool for All Your Needs
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- 1/2in. Cordless hammer drill with high performance motor produces 280 unit watts out for heavy duty jobsite applications
- 1/2in. Ratcheting chuck for improved bit retention
- 25, 500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick
- 2speed gearbox with speeds of 0350/01, 500 for speed of fastening
The 1/2in. Cordless Hammer Drill is an integral part of the V20 cordless system, offering a high-performance motor that produces 280 unit watts out, making it suitable for heavy-duty jobsite applications. Its 1/2in. ratcheting chuck ensures improved bit retention, and its 25,500 bpms allows for faster drilling in concrete and brick. The drill features a 2-speed gearbox with speeds of 0-350/0-1,500 for fastening. The kit includes V20 20V MAX* Lithium Batteries with high-performance cells, providing ample runtime and increased performance. The V20 20V MAX* Lithium charger can charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less. Additionally, the drill is compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System (clip and accessories sold separately).
- Part of the V20 cordless system, allowing for compatibility with other V20 tools and batteries.
- High-performance motor and 1/2in. ratcheting chuck make it suitable for heavy-duty jobsite applications.
- High bpms allow for faster drilling in concrete and brick.
- 2-speed gearbox provides flexibility for different applications.
- Includes Lithium batteries and charger, providing ample runtime and quick charging time.
- Compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System, allowing for easy storage and accessibility.
- May not have as much power as corded tools.
- Lithium batteries may have a limited lifespan and require replacement after a certain period of use.
- Some users may prefer a dedicated hammer drill instead of a 2-in-1 tool.
- The VERSATRACK Wall Organization System clip and accessories are sold separately, increasing the overall cost.
In conclusion, the best hammer drill cordless is a powerful and versatile tool that can handle a wide range of drilling and driving tasks with ease. It offers the convenience and portability of a cordless tool, while still delivering the power and performance of a corded drill.
When choosing a cordless hammer drill, it’s important to consider factors such as battery life, power, and ergonomics, as well as the types of projects you’ll be using the tool for. With so many high-quality options available on the market today, there’s sure to be a cordless hammer drill that meets your needs and exceeds your expectations.
Investing in a top-quality cordless hammer drill is a smart choice for both DIY enthusiasts and professional contractors alike, as it can save you time and effort while also delivering superior results. So whether you’re drilling into concrete or driving screws into wood, a cordless hammer drill is an essential tool that should be in every DIYer’s toolbox.
- What is a hammer drill and why would I need a cordless one?
A hammer drill is a power tool that combines rotary drilling and hammering action to make drilling through tough materials like concrete or masonry easier. A cordless hammer drill offers the convenience of not having to be tethered to a power outlet, allowing you to work in areas without access to electricity or without needing to manage cords.
- What are some important features to consider when choosing a cordless hammer drill?
Some important features to consider include the battery life and voltage, the chuck size and type, the hammering speed and torque, and the weight and ergonomics of the drill.
- How long does the battery of a cordless hammer drill typically last?
The battery life of a cordless hammer drill can vary depending on the specific model and usage, but most modern cordless hammer drills offer battery life ranging from 20 to 60 minutes of continuous use. It’s important to consider the battery voltage and capacity when comparing models.
- Can a cordless hammer drill be as powerful as a corded one?
While corded hammer drills typically offer more power and faster hammering speeds than cordless models, many cordless hammer drills are now available with high voltage batteries that can provide comparable power and speed. It’s important to compare the specifications of each model to determine the best option for your needs.
- What are some popular brands of cordless hammer drills?
Some popular brands of cordless hammer drills include DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, and Ryobi. Each brand offers a range of models with different features and specifications, so it’s important to research and compare different options to find the best cordless hammer drill for your needs.