When it comes to drilling through tough materials like concrete or masonry, having the right tool can make all the difference. And while traditional corded hammer drills have been the go-to choice for many professionals and DIY enthusiasts for years, cordless hammer drills have been rapidly gaining popularity in recent times.
With advancements in battery technology, modern cordless hammer drills offer comparable power and performance to their corded counterparts while offering the added convenience of being cordless. But with so many options on the market, it can be tough to determine which one is the best for your needs.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the top cordless hammer drills available today and explore their key features and benefits. Whether you’re a professional contractor or a DIY enthusiast, we’re confident that our guide will help you find the best cordless hammer drill to tackle your next project with ease.
- DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit: A powerful and versatile cordless tool
- BOSCH RH540M: The SDS-Max Rotary Hammer for Heavy-Duty Applications.
- Skil HD182002: The Power You Need to Tackle Any Drilling Job
- Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Perfect Tool for Construction Sites
- DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill: Lightweight, Compact, and Powerful
- Upgrade Your Toolbox with Denali by SKIL 20V Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
- Get the Job Done with the CRAFTSMAN V20 Hammer Drill Kit
DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit: A powerful and versatile cordless tool
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor delivers up to 75% more runtime compared to 18V NiCad brushed motors, providing longer usage time and increased efficiency.
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge offer 33% more capacity over standard packs, enabling longer use before needing to recharge or replace the battery.
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts provides superior bit gripping strength, reducing the chances of slippage or dislodging during use.
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous models, enabling greater visibility and precision while working.
- LED Spotlight Mode features a 20-minute shutoff function, allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces without worrying about battery drainage or excessive use.
- 3-speed, all-metal high-performance transmission optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time, enhancing user control and precision.
- 0-450 / 0-1300 / 0-2000 RPM in drill mode provides versatile speed options for a wide range of drilling and fastening tasks.
- The higher capacity XR Li-Ion batteries and advanced features of the DEWALT 20V hammer drill may come at a higher price point than other cordless drills in the market, making it less accessible to those on a budget.
- The heavy-duty metal chuck and high-performance transmission may make the tool heavier and more difficult to maneuver for some users, especially those with weaker grips or hand strength.
- The advanced LED lighting features may not be necessary or useful for all users, particularly those who work in well-lit environments or do not require precision work in dark or confined spaces.
- The drill’s high-speed options may make it less suitable for tasks that require slower, more controlled drilling speeds, such as delicate or intricate work.
BOSCH RH540M: The SDS-Max Rotary Hammer for Heavy-Duty Applications.
- CONVENIENT: The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer features the SDS-max Bit System for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
- POWER: This rotary hammer provides the best in class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. Weighing only, 15.2 lbs., the RH540M provides maximum productivity in all day drilling and chiseling applications
- VERSATILE: The RH540M features a combination dual mode selector knob to allow users to select between hammer drilling, chiseling only and the Vario-Lock function
- EFFICIENT: With Varo-Lock Positioning, the rotary hammer rotates and locks chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angle. The tool also comes complete with service minder brushes to notify users when maintenance is needed
- VARIABLE SPEED: The variable speed dial allows for controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which will easily reduce concrete to dust
The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer offers a range of advantages for users in various applications. One of its most notable features is the SDS-max Bit System, which allows for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking and dust protection. This ensures maximum impact energy transfer rate and convenience for users. However, the rotary hammer’s weight of 15.2 lbs. may be a disadvantage for some users who require a lighter tool.
In terms of power, the RH540M provides a best-in-class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs., making it suitable for heavy-duty drilling and chiseling applications. Its variable speed dial also allows for controlled drilling and chiseling, with the motor rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode. This level of power and control can make quick work of concrete and other tough materials.
The RH540M is also versatile, with a combination dual mode selector knob that enables users to choose between hammer drilling, chiseling only, and the Vario-Lock function. The Vario-Lock Positioning feature allows for the rotary hammer to rotate and lock the chisel into 12 different positions, optimizing working angles. However, some users may find the Vario-Lock function difficult to use without proper training and experience.
Skil HD182002: The Power You Need to Tackle Any Drilling Job
- Versatility at its best - From tightening screws to drilling into wood, metal and even concrete, this versatile hammer drill is the ideal DIY tool for a variety of home projects.
- Powerful - This drill is equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor that makes it ideal for the most demanding projects.
- TACKLES TOUGH JOBS - This ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy duty jobs.
- Speed control - The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control.
- Drill longer and more comfortably - The lock-on button lets you to drill for long periods of time. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options for greater stability.
- Versatile: This hammer drill can be used for a variety of DIY projects, including tightening screws, drilling into wood, metal, and concrete.
- Powerful: Equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor, this drill can handle demanding projects.
- Heavy-duty: The ½” keyed chuck allows for larger bits, making it ideal for tough jobs.
- Speed control: The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control.
- Lock-on button: Allows for longer and more comfortable drilling periods, preventing finger fatigue and providing different holding options for greater stability.
- May not be suitable for professional-grade or industrial projects.
- The lock-on button may pose a safety hazard if not used correctly.
- The power cord may limit mobility and range of use.
- May not be suitable for very precise or delicate tasks.
Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: The Perfect Tool for Construction SitesMakita XRH04Z 18V LXT® Lithium-Ion Cordless 7/8" Rotary Hammer, accepts SDS-PLUS bits, Tool Only
- Makita-built variable speed motor delivers 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM
- 3-mode operation for "Rotation Only", "Hammering with Rotation" or "Hammering Only" for multiple applications
- Torque limiting clutch engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds
- Faster drilling with synchronized RPM and BPM
- Job site tested shock absorbent handle protects the battery housing for extra durability
The Makita XRH04Z rotary hammer features a Makita-built variable speed motor that delivers a range of 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM, making it a powerful and versatile tool for a variety of applications.
With its 3-mode operation, you can choose from “Rotation Only”, “Hammering with Rotation”, or “Hammering Only” to suit different job requirements. This allows you to tackle a wide range of tasks with just one tool, making it a cost-effective and efficient solution for any job site.
Another great feature of the XRH04Z is its torque limiting clutch, which is designed to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds. This ensures that the tool remains in good condition and lasts longer, saving you money on repairs and replacements.
Additionally, the synchronized RPM and BPM make for faster drilling, saving you time and increasing productivity on the job. This is especially useful for larger or more demanding tasks where speed is essential.
Finally, the XRH04Z is built to withstand tough job site conditions, with a shock-absorbent handle that protects the battery housing for extra durability. This ensures that the tool can withstand heavy use and last longer, making it a reliable choice for any professional or DIYer.
Some potential downsides to consider include the weight of the tool, which may be too heavy for some users, as well as the noise level, which may be too loud for some job sites. Additionally, the battery life may be shorter than some other models, so it’s important to have spare batteries on hand for longer jobs.
DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill: Lightweight, Compact, and PowerfulSaleDEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill, L-Shape SDS Plus, 1-1/8-Inch, Tool Only (DCH293B)
- Cordless hammer drill featuring 3.5 Joules of impact energy provides corded power without the cord
- DEWALT 20V hammer drill features E-Clutch for maximum control in bind-up situations - A Perform and Protect feature.
- SHOCKS - Active Vibration Control of DEWALT 20V brushless hammer drill reduces vibration felt by the user at the handles. A Perform and Protect feature.
- DEWALT built brushless motor for all day runtime and durability
- Retractable utility hook for convenient hanging
Cordless hammer drill with 3.5 Joules of impact energy offers the convenience of cordless operation while providing corded power.
- The cordless design allows for greater mobility and flexibility, enabling you to move around without being tethered to an electrical outlet.
- The 3.5 Joules of impact energy provide ample power to handle tough drilling and hammering jobs.
- The E-Clutch feature of the DEWALT 20V hammer drill maximizes control in situations where the bit binds, preventing the drill from twisting and potentially causing injury.
- The SHOCKS – Active Vibration Control feature reduces the amount of vibration felt by the user, reducing fatigue and increasing comfort.
- The brushless motor is more efficient than traditional motors, providing all-day runtime and durability.
- The retractable utility hook makes it easy to store and transport the drill, keeping it within reach when needed.
- The German engineering ensures high quality and durability.
- The dust management feature makes it easy to attach a dust collection system, helping to keep your work area clean and safe.
- Cordless drills typically have a shorter runtime than corded models, requiring frequent recharging or battery replacement.
- The added features of the DEWALT 20V hammer drill, such as the E-Clutch and Active Vibration Control, may increase the price compared to less advanced models.
Upgrade Your Toolbox with Denali by SKIL 20V Cordless Hammer Drill KitSaleAmazon Brand - Denali by SKIL 20V Cordless Hammer Drill Kit with (2) 2.0Ah Lithium Batteries and Charger
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers
- Cordless hammer drill kit with 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill for power and versatility
- Includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, bit, and belt clip
- Toggle between driver (for screws), drill (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill (for bricks and cement)
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick, easy bit changes
This cordless hammer drill kit offers versatility and compatibility with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers. It includes a 20V hammer drill that features a 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill functions for a wide range of applications. Additionally, the kit comes with 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger capable of fully charging a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, a belt clip, and a bit.
The drill features a 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with an auto spindle lock, enabling quick and easy bit changes. The 2-speed toggle allows you to toggle between low for more torque or high for more speed, with a 0-420 and 0-1600 rpm no load speed. The drill also offers reliable performance with an impact rate of 0-6300 and 0-24000 bpm, and a maximum torque of 350-inch pounds.
- The cross-compatibility with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers allows for greater flexibility and cost-effectiveness.
- The 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill functions offer versatility for a wide range of applications.
- The inclusion of 2 batteries and a fast-charging charger ensures longer use time and less downtime.
- The 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock makes it easy to change bits quickly and efficiently.
- The 2-speed toggle offers flexibility in terms of torque and speed, allowing for greater control over the drilling process.
- The high impact rate and maximum torque ensure reliable performance in tough drilling applications.
- As a cordless drill, the battery life may not be sufficient for heavy-duty tasks that require extended use.
- The reliance on batteries means that it may not be as powerful as corded drills.
- The price may be higher compared to other cordless drill options on the market.
Get the Job Done with the CRAFTSMAN V20 Hammer Drill Kit
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- 1/2in. Cordless hammer drill with high performance motor produces 280 unit watts out for heavy duty jobsite applications
- 1/2in. Ratcheting chuck for improved bit retention
- 25, 500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick
- 2speed gearbox with speeds of 0350/01, 500 for speed of fastening
This powerful cordless hammer drill is part of the V20 system, making it compatible with other V20 tools and batteries. It features a high-performance motor that produces 280 unit watts out, making it suitable for heavy-duty jobsite applications. The 1/2in. ratcheting chuck improves bit retention, and the 25,500 bpms provide faster drilling in concrete and brick. The 2-speed gearbox allows for speeds of 0-350/0-1,500 for fastening. The kit includes V20 20V MAX* lithium batteries with high-performance cells that provide ample runtime and increased performance, and the V20 20V MAX* lithium charger can fully charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less. This hammer drill is also compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System, but clips and accessories are sold separately.
- Part of the V20 system, making it compatible with other V20 tools and batteries.
- High-performance motor and 1/2in. ratcheting chuck make it suitable for heavy-duty jobsite applications.
- 25,500 bpms provide faster drilling in concrete and brick.
- 2-speed gearbox allows for fastening speeds of 0-350/0-1,500.
- Lithium batteries with high-performance cells provide ample runtime and increased performance.
- Lithium charger can fully charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less.
- Clips and accessories for the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System are sold separately.
- Cordless tools may not have as much power as corded tools.
- Lithium batteries may have a limited lifespan and require replacement after a certain period of use.
- May not be suitable for heavy-duty applications that require more power or specialized tools.
In conclusion, the best cordless hammer drill is one that meets your specific needs and preferences. However, features such as compatibility with other tools and batteries, high-performance motor, ratcheting chuck, fast drilling speed, and reliable batteries and charger are important factors to consider when selecting the right hammer drill for your job. Ultimately, a good cordless hammer drill will make your work more efficient and convenient, allowing you to focus on achieving professional results.
What is the best cordless hammer drill? There are many excellent cordless hammer drills on the market, but some of the most highly rated models include the DeWalt DCD996P2, Milwaukee 2804-20 M18 FUEL, and Makita XPH07Z.
How long do cordless hammer drill batteries last? The battery life of a cordless hammer drill will vary depending on the brand and model, as well as the type of work you are doing. Most cordless hammer drills will provide anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours of use on a single charge.
How powerful are cordless hammer drills? Cordless hammer drills are generally quite powerful, with most models providing between 500 and 1,200 watts of power. However, the power output will vary depending on the brand and model of the drill.
Can cordless hammer drills be used for concrete drilling? Yes, many cordless hammer drills are designed to be used for concrete drilling. However, you will want to make sure that the drill you choose is powerful enough for the type of concrete you will be drilling into.
Are cordless hammer drills easy to use? Cordless hammer drills are generally very easy to use, with most models featuring intuitive controls and ergonomic designs. However, if you are new to using a hammer drill, you may want to practice on some scrap materials before working on a project.