When it comes to drilling through tough surfaces like concrete and masonry, a reliable hammer drill is a must-have tool for any DIY enthusiast or professional. And while corded drills used to be the go-to option for their consistent power, cordless hammer drills have come a long way in recent years and are now a popular choice for their convenience and portability.
But with so many options available on the market, finding the best cordless hammer drill can be a daunting task. From power and speed to battery life and ergonomics, there are numerous factors to consider before making a purchase.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the top cordless hammer drills available today, and help you navigate through the options to find the one that best suits your needs. So whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting out, read on to discover the best cordless hammer drill for your next project.
- Brushless technology and 3-speed control: Why the DCD996P2 is a game-changer
- BOSCH RH540M: The Ultimate Rotary Hammer for Heavy-Duty Jobs
- Skil HD182002: The Hammer Drill Built for Professional Contractors
- Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: Your Go-To Tool for Demolition and Construction
- DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill: Lightweight, Compact, and Powerful
- A Must-Have for Every DIY Enthusiast - Denali by SKIL Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
- The Ultimate Cordless Hammer Drill: CRAFTSMAN V20
Brushless technology and 3-speed control: Why the DCD996P2 is a game-changer
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
The DEWALT 20V hammer drill is equipped with a high power, high efficiency brushless motor, which is built by DEWALT. This motor provides up to 75% more runtime compared to 18V NiCad brushed motors. This is an advantage because it allows for longer use of the tool before needing to recharge the battery.
In addition, the XR Li-Ion batteries of the cordless hammer drill feature a fuel gauge and provide 33% more capacity over standard packs. This is another advantage because it allows for more work to be done before needing to replace or recharge the battery.
The hammer drill also features a heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength. This is an advantage because it provides a stronger grip on the drill bit, preventing slippage and increasing precision.
The 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than the previous model, while the LED Spotlight Mode features a 20-minute shutoff function, allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces. These are both advantages because they improve visibility and allow for longer work times in low-light conditions.
The hammer drill also features a 3-speed, all-metal high performance transmission that optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time. This is an advantage because it allows the user to adjust the speed of the drill to match the requirements of the task.
However, one potential disadvantage of this hammer drill is its price. The DEWALT brand is known for its high-quality and durable tools, but they often come with a higher price tag compared to other brands.
BOSCH RH540M: The Ultimate Rotary Hammer for Heavy-Duty Jobs
- CONVENIENT: The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer features the SDS-max Bit System for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking, dust protection and maximum impact energy transfer rate
- POWER: This rotary hammer provides the best in class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs. Weighing only, 15.2 lbs., the RH540M provides maximum productivity in all day drilling and chiseling applications
- VERSATILE: The RH540M features a combination dual mode selector knob to allow users to select between hammer drilling, chiseling only and the Vario-Lock function
- EFFICIENT: With Varo-Lock Positioning, the rotary hammer rotates and locks chisel into 12 different positions to optimize working angle. The tool also comes complete with service minder brushes to notify users when maintenance is needed
- VARIABLE SPEED: The variable speed dial allows for controlled drilling and chiseling applications. The motor is rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode, which will easily reduce concrete to dust
The Bosch RH540M Combo Rotary Hammer offers a range of advantages for users in various applications. One of its most notable features is the SDS-max Bit System, which allows for tool-free bit changes with automatic bit locking and dust protection. This ensures maximum impact energy transfer rate and convenience for users. However, the rotary hammer’s weight of 15.2 lbs. may be a disadvantage for some users who require a lighter tool.
In terms of power, the RH540M provides a best-in-class impact energy of 6.1 ft.-lbs., making it suitable for heavy-duty drilling and chiseling applications. Its variable speed dial also allows for controlled drilling and chiseling, with the motor rated at 170 to 340 RPM in rotary mode and 1,200 to 2,750 BPM in hammer mode. This level of power and control can make quick work of concrete and other tough materials.
The RH540M is also versatile, with a combination dual mode selector knob that enables users to choose between hammer drilling, chiseling only, and the Vario-Lock function. The Vario-Lock Positioning feature allows for the rotary hammer to rotate and lock the chisel into 12 different positions, optimizing working angles. However, some users may find the Vario-Lock function difficult to use without proper training and experience.
Skil HD182002: The Hammer Drill Built for Professional Contractors
- Versatility at its best - From tightening screws to drilling into wood, metal and even concrete, this versatile hammer drill is the ideal DIY tool for a variety of home projects.
- Powerful - This drill is equipped with a high torque 7.5 Amp motor that makes it ideal for the most demanding projects.
- TACKLES TOUGH JOBS - This ½” heavy-duty keyed chuck allows for larger bits to power through heavy duty jobs.
- Speed control - The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control.
- Drill longer and more comfortably - The lock-on button lets you to drill for long periods of time. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options for greater stability.
Versatility is the highlight of this hammer drill, capable of handling a wide range of DIY projects such as tightening screws, drilling into wood, metal, and even concrete. The drill’s ability to tackle diverse materials makes it an essential tool for any DIY enthusiast.
In addition to its versatility, the drill’s high torque 7.5 Amp motor provides ample power for the most demanding projects, ensuring that it can handle even the toughest jobs. Its heavy-duty ½” keyed chuck also allows for larger bits, which can help power through thick materials with ease.
The 2-finger variable speed trigger provides increased control over the speed of the drill, allowing for more precise drilling and ensuring that the user has the right amount of power for each job.
One of the drill’s most significant advantages is its lock-on button, which enables longer and more comfortable drilling. This prevents finger fatigue and allows for different holding options, increasing stability and control.
However, this drill’s versatility and power come with a few drawbacks. For example, its heavier motor may make it more challenging to maneuver for extended periods. Additionally, its heavy-duty design may make it more challenging to use in tight spaces or for more delicate jobs.
Makita XRH04Z Rotary Hammer: Your Go-To Tool for Demolition and Construction
- Makita-built variable speed motor delivers 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM
- 3-mode operation for "Rotation Only", "Hammering with Rotation" or "Hammering Only" for multiple applications
- Torque limiting clutch engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds
- Faster drilling with synchronized RPM and BPM
- Job site tested shock absorbent handle protects the battery housing for extra durability
The Makita-built variable speed motor of this rotary hammer delivers impressive performance with 0-1,200 RPM and 0-4,000 BPM, making it a versatile tool for a wide range of applications. With 3-mode operation, including “Rotation Only”, “Hammering with Rotation”, and “Hammering Only”, this tool can tackle multiple tasks with ease.
One key advantage of this tool is the torque limiting clutch, which is engineered to prevent gear damage by automatically disengaging gears if the bit binds. This helps to protect the tool from potential damage, ensuring a longer lifespan and reducing the need for repairs.
In addition, the synchronized RPM and BPM provide faster drilling, enabling you to get the job done more efficiently. The job site tested shock absorbent handle is also a notable feature, as it protects the battery housing for extra durability, allowing you to use this tool on tough job sites without worrying about damage.
DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Rotary Hammer Drill: Lightweight, Compact, and Powerful
- Cordless hammer drill featuring 3.5 Joules of impact energy provides corded power without the cord
- DEWALT 20V hammer drill features E-Clutch for maximum control in bind-up situations - A Perform and Protect feature.
- SHOCKS - Active Vibration Control of DEWALT 20V brushless hammer drill reduces vibration felt by the user at the handles. A Perform and Protect feature.
- DEWALT built brushless motor for all day runtime and durability
- Retractable utility hook for convenient hanging
Cordless hammer drill with 3.5 Joules of impact energy provides corded power without the hassle of cords.
- The cordless design allows for more mobility and freedom of movement while drilling, making it ideal for outdoor or remote worksites.
- The 3.5 Joules of impact energy provide corded power, ensuring that it can handle tough jobs with ease.
- The DEWALT 20V hammer drill features an E-Clutch, which provides maximum control in bind-up situations, making it safer to use.
- The SHOCKS active vibration control reduces the vibration felt by the user, making it more comfortable to use and reducing the risk of injury.
- The brushless motor provides all-day runtime and durability, making it a reliable tool for professionals.
- The retractable utility hook allows for easy hanging and storage when not in use.
- The German engineering ensures quality and durability.
- It is dust management ready and can be used with D25304DH for a cleaner work environment.
- The cordless design may limit the power output compared to corded drills, which may not be sufficient for some heavy-duty applications.
- The 20V battery may not provide enough power for extended use, requiring frequent battery changes or charging.
- The additional features such as E-Clutch, active vibration control, and dust management may add to the cost of the drill.
- The retractable utility hook may be prone to breaking or malfunctioning over time.
A Must-Have for Every DIY Enthusiast – Denali by SKIL Cordless Hammer Drill Kit
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers
- Cordless hammer drill kit with 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill for power and versatility
- Includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that fully charges a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, bit, and belt clip
- Toggle between driver (for screws), drill (for wood, plastic, and metal), and hammer drill (for bricks and cement)
- 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick, easy bit changes
This cordless hammer drill kit offers versatility and compatibility with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers. It features a 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill, allowing you to switch between different modes for various tasks. The kit includes a 20V hammer drill, 2 Denali by SKIL 20 2.0Ah lithium batteries, a 2.4A charger that can fully charge a 2.0Ah battery in 60 minutes and a 4.0Ah battery in 100 minutes, a bit, and a belt clip. The drill has a 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock for quick and easy bit changes. The 2-speed toggle allows you to choose between low torque or high speed with a no-load speed range of 0-420 and 0-1600 rpm. It has a reliable performance with an impact rate of 0-6300 and 0-24000 bpm and a maximum torque of 350-inch pounds.
- Compatibility with all SKIL PWRCORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers makes it easy to expand your tool collection without having to buy new batteries or chargers.
- The 3-in-1 driver, standard drill, and hammer drill offer versatility for different types of tasks, eliminating the need for multiple tools.
- The kit includes two lithium batteries and a fast charger that can fully charge a 2.0Ah battery in just 60 minutes, allowing you to work longer with minimal downtime.
- The 1/2-inch keyless ratcheting chuck with auto spindle lock enables quick and easy bit changes, improving efficiency and convenience.
- The 2-speed toggle allows you to adjust the speed and torque according to your needs, making it suitable for a range of applications.
- It may not be as powerful as corded hammer drills, which may limit its use in heavy-duty tasks.
- The batteries may need to be charged frequently for extended use, which may be inconvenient for some users.
- The 1/2-inch chuck may not be suitable for larger drill bits, which may limit its versatility in some applications.
The Ultimate Cordless Hammer Drill: CRAFTSMAN V20
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- 1/2in. Cordless hammer drill with high performance motor produces 280 unit watts out for heavy duty jobsite applications
- 1/2in. Ratcheting chuck for improved bit retention
- 25, 500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick
- 2speed gearbox with speeds of 0350/01, 500 for speed of fastening
The 1/2in. cordless hammer drill is part of the V20 cordless system and is designed for heavy-duty jobsite applications. It features a high-performance motor that produces 280 unit watts out, making it a powerful tool for tough jobs. The 1/2in. ratcheting chuck improves bit retention, and the drill has a maximum speed of 25,500 bpms for faster drilling in concrete and brick. The 2-speed gearbox has speeds of 0-350/0-1,500, providing flexibility for different applications. The kit includes V20 20V MAX* lithium batteries with high-performance cells that provide ample runtime and increased performance. The V20 20V MAX* lithium charger can charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less. The drill is also compatible with the VERSATRACK Wall Organization System, although the clip and accessories are sold separately.
- Part of the V20 cordless system, providing compatibility with other V20 tools and batteries.
- High-performance motor produces 280 unit watts out, making it a powerful tool for heavy-duty jobs.
- 1/2in. ratcheting chuck improves bit retention for improved performance.
- Maximum speed of 25,500 bpms allows for faster drilling in concrete and brick.
- 2-speed gearbox provides flexibility for different applications.
- V20 20V MAX* lithium batteries with high-performance cells provide ample runtime and increased performance.
- V20 20V MAX* lithium charger can charge the included battery in 60 minutes or less.
- May not be suitable for very heavy-duty jobs that require more power.
- The VERSATRACK Wall Organization System clip and accessories are sold separately, which may be an additional expense.
- The included batteries may have a limited lifespan and require replacement after a certain period of use.
In conclusion, the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit (CMCD711C2) is a great tool for heavy-duty jobsite applications. With its high-performance motor, ratcheting chuck, and fast drilling speed, it can handle a wide range of drilling and fastening tasks. Its compatibility with the V20 cordless system and high-performance Lithium batteries make it a versatile tool that can be used in conjunction with other V20 tools. While it may have some limitations due to its cordless nature and chuck size, it is still an excellent choice for anyone looking for a reliable and powerful cordless hammer drill. Overall, the CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Hammer Drill Kit is an excellent addition to any toolbox and is a top choice for the best cordless hammer drill.
What is a hammer drill cordless, and how does it differ from a regular cordless drill? A hammer drill cordless is a power tool that can drill holes into tough materials like concrete and masonry by combining the rotation of the drill bit with a pulsing action that drives it into the material. This is achieved through a mechanism called a hammering or percussion mechanism. Regular cordless drills do not have this mechanism and are better suited for drilling into wood, plastic, and softer materials.
What are the advantages of a cordless hammer drill over a corded one? The primary advantage of a cordless hammer drill is its portability and convenience. Since it is not tethered to a power outlet, you can use it anywhere without the hassle of cords and power cords. Cordless hammer drills also offer greater flexibility and maneuverability in tight spaces, making them ideal for DIY and construction projects.
How long does the battery last on a cordless hammer drill? The battery life of a cordless hammer drill depends on several factors, such as the type of battery, the power output of the drill, and the intensity of use. Most cordless hammer drills come with lithium-ion batteries that can last between 30 minutes to 2 hours on a single charge. However, some models may have longer battery life or come with spare batteries that can be swapped out during use.
What is the best voltage for a cordless hammer drill? The voltage of a cordless hammer drill determines the power output and performance of the tool. The higher the voltage, the more powerful the drill will be. For most DIY and home projects, a cordless hammer drill with a voltage range between 18-20V is sufficient. However, for heavy-duty tasks or professional use, you may want to consider a higher voltage drill.
What are some features to look for in a cordless hammer drill? When selecting a cordless hammer drill, some essential features to consider include the power output, battery life, chuck size, weight, and ergonomics. You may also want to look for additional features like variable speed control, LED lights, and multiple torque settings. Finally, consider the brand reputation, warranty, and customer support offered by the manufacturer.